Hi, before the varicocelectomy, the veins were swollen pretty large but not that bad. Since the surgery the veins seem sort of softer but still enlarged! Actually, it seems like there is more veins swollen, and they seem softer, AND the left testicle where the varicocele was/is, is sagging even more than it did before!!! This is 6 days later! I don't think it is a hydrocele because all I feel is veins, not "fluid filled sacs" around my testicle.

My question is, did the varicocele come back or something? Actually, it was never gone. Right when the surgery was over, I felt down there and noticed this.

Please respond quickly!!! I need to know if I should schedule another appointment.

its odd nobody responded to this

im going through the same thing!

itd be interesting to know how things healed up and if the vericocele ever went away

anyone?

i also have the same thing. It was swollen a LOT for 5 days, it is just now going down. I thought it may have been a hydrocele at first, but luckily it wasn't. But the veins are very, very large and painful to touch, and there is no pain on the testicle itself.

Hey guys,
you're almost asking for a medical opinion without an examination. Nobody's likely to do that.

As for whether you should schedule another appointment, the question is how concerned you are about this condition. Was it painful before? Is that why you had the surgery? Is it painful now? If not, then why are you concerned?

Yes, surgery traumatizes tissue. It takes a while for things to return to normal.

Perhaps they removed the largest vessels and veins and missed a few. Perhaps they felt they got the ones they needed to, and left the others to see how it behaved. Generally, you don't want to cut out any more for ANY condition than you have to... but the leaky valve and "plumbing" that causes a varicocele doesn't magically go away, just because they've removed the largest of the expanded veins that used to inflate.

If you're concerned, Sure, ask for another opinion.
If you're just curious, watch it for awhile and see where this leads.

If you were concerned about fertility, YES, go back and talk with your doctor. SHOW him the concern. Let him decide whether more is necessary.

Good luck.

In case anyone is going through this. I'm 8 days post varicocelectomy microsurgery and have the same question.

Here's a helpful link I found that made me feel better while waiting for my follow-up appointment.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

This was the answer that was found on another website. It answers the above questions rather well.

James, I am not sure of the answer to your question as during my practice years I was only involved with surgical correction of varicoceles. I can tell you that from this experience, the varicocele usually persisted for a number of weeks (6-8) after surgery before dissipating. Although no blood should flow out through the obstructed varicocele, it takes time for the dilated veins of the varicocele to gradually atrophy. The scrotal venous drainage develops new routes via anastomotic vessels. The overall success rate of embolization is around 85-90%. At this point in time, you should have little cause for concern. Good luck.

Thank you for sharing the link to this website. It supplied an answer that I could not.

it's normal... the veins are closed so that no blood floods inside them. after a wile they'll get smaller and disappear (sometimes a period of 6 months is needed)

Hey what has you post surgery been like? do you still have any pains? do you still feel the veins? do you see an increase in testosterone (muscle gains etc or more awake?) please let me know, going for surgery soon kind of scared

Same here. Just had the surgery yesterday. Hope it will go away within couple months.

I'm having the same promblen how did u guys get on after????

I've had the surgery too just be patient takes a few weeks to go Down

wehre is link baby

Ive had a Bilateral microsurgical varicocelectomy about 2 months ago now.

I had a grade III varicocele (doctor said top 5 biggest he's ever seen) and a very minor one on the right, which I figured get fixed while he's already down there.

Im extremely active, training for Spec-war with Navy; in fact, the only reason I had the surgery was to avoid being disqualified for enlistment.

Anyways - The swelling DOES go down.  Ice, Ice, Ice, Ice...

I can run and move around with pretty much ALMOST no pain, things are still a little tender if the boys are knocked the wrong way - but definately manageable - hopefully will be 100% in the near future.

Probably worth noting though that my left (prior grade III) does still have some residual veins present.  By no means the same size it once was; however, feels almost the same.  Im ASSUMING, this will go away with time - hopefully. 

hello to every one, i was operated varicocele 17 days ago, i have a lot of question. i feel nervous during this recovery,  thank you 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

add me here on face book, j a m e s d a v i d 0 0 0 1 @ y a h o o . c o m   just remove the space. lets talk about what we experienced during the recovery to encourage each other, im from philippines. thanks.