My husband has been trying to get his sperm tested since the beginning of this year since he was having trouble ejaculating while he was making love to me. Well he had been trying to get to a lab where there was the sperm testing until he finally did find a lab closest to where we lived. He went to the lab at this hospital and he gave them a sperm sample. The problem was they didn't test it until five days after he gave the sample. The urologist said that even though his sperm seemed fine, he wanted my husband to take the same test at a different hospital to see if his sperm were swimmers. So my husband went to this hospital to take the test but the test revealed that there was not enough sample to test. My husband mentioned that a lot of it didn't go in the tube but outside the tube. Also he went for a scrotum sonogram and it turns out he has a varicose vein in the scrotum. The urologist told him it might be good or bad. I looked it up on the internet and it mentioned that it cause infertility due to the fact it can block sperm, which may explain why he doesn't ejaculate enough or at all when we make love. It mentioned that surgery can be performed on this but who knows if it can work on my husband or not. So now he will be trying a third time in September to have his sperm retested. It is just really hard to comprehend that the first test at a different hospital where he gave a good sperm sample that the incompetent lab technicians waited until day five to test the sperm but when he did the test at a different hospital there was not enough sample. Yesterday when we made love again and I was ovulating, I was showing mucous all day and was very uncomfortable but I know to expect it since that is the way my body works but after we had sex everything was so dry. What I can't also understand is where is varicose vein came from.

Woah! Slow down. There's a lot of issues here, and I never did find a question.
Though you have gained a lot of information, it doesn't sound accurate, or, someone has confused it while relating the subject to you.

First, the concern with a varicose vein is from the additional heat that it MAY supply to the testicle, possibly reducing sperm mobility.

Second, it IS possible to father children even though one has varicose veins in the scrotum. I'm living proof with two healthy kids.

About 10% of the male population have varicose veins in the left side of their scrotum. It occurs because of the unique angle that the returning blood rejoins the body. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS. It just can happen at various ages for different man.

I had not heard of a scrotum sonogram before, but I suppose that's one way to image the contents of the scrotum.
While it is possible to have surgery to remove or reduce a varicose vein, I wouldn't jump to that action just yet. His doctor MAY have already determined that this is the root cause, but I'd be cautious, exploring all other avenues first. And then, he may decide to have this surgery if it's still a problem.

It's a shame that the technicians waited five days to test a sperm sample. That's not how I understand this is done. Usually it is examined IMMEDIATELY after "donation" under a microscope. The determination if there are "swimmers" is done within the hour, and results are communicated to the patient within the day, just after the doctor is informed.

Given how much difficulty he's had with sperm donation, I'm wondering if we're getting the whole story. The comedy of errors and problems begins to make me wonder what's really going on here. ANY man can deposit his ejaculation into a tube if he WANTS to. The fact that he's missed so much of the ejaculate makes me wonder.

Also, a man who has just ejaculated, or had multiple ejaculations in the prior 24 hours will, of course, have depleted his "stored sperm supply". THAT would be a more likely explanation. Did the two of you have sex the night before? The day of the donation? Could he have masturbated just recently? Or all of the above?

I have to ask: Are you certain that he really wants to have a child? Could he be avoiding this or having an affair? I don't mean to plant suspicions in your mind, but these questions came up when reading your long story.

Your story was posted in mid-August. I find it hard to believe that a sperm sample has to be scheduled more than two weeks later or more, in September... Unless there is some severe concern over his not having "stored enough" in time for the donation.

Finally, you state you researched a "scrotal varicose vein" on the internet, and claim that it could be the cause of his not having enough ejaculate or not climaxing while making love with you. This is NOT my understanding of those symptoms. A varicose vein has NOTHING to do with the amount of ejaculate. And as for not climaxing with you, I'd look to how long it has been since last he climaxed or if he's been masturbating BEFORE having sex with you. These are more likely causes.

Good luck with your attempts to become pregnant.
As the doctor may have told you, you can increase your chances by your hubby wearing boxer shorts, not briefs (to keep the testicles cooler) and to reduce the number of ejaculations he's having, rather than increasing the number of times you two have intercourse.

Good luck, and keep us informed on this, will you?
It sounds like you're exploring all options, and I encourage you to keep trying.
Stay in tune with your husband and his feelings about this. (I suspect there's something more going on here.)

Hi Fran, you seemed really distraught the last time you posted this. How are things going with your husband? Have you been able to see a doctor about his sperm and fertility? If you are still around, let us know okay? Thanks!

Hi My boyfriend has varicose vein in his scrotum an if he lifts something really heavy has severe pains... What could he take for this type of pain?

sir i have vericose vein in testicles.....left side.... i want to know whether this vericose vein affect the size of my penis...will it get decreased?? pls reply thanks in advance

The only thing I can comment on here is the vein in your husband's scrotum. It's called a varicocele, and is fairly common in middle-aged men. He should go to the doctor and get a better answer than "it might be good or bad." In the meantime, he can start using a penis health creme containing Vitamin C. Vitamin C is great for vein walls and circulation, and it might really help your husband out. Good luck.