I am on penicillin at the moment, and I decided to join a yahoo group that highlights the different side effects that penicillin and other antibiotics can have. Someone told me that there is a feasible possibility that long-term use of penicillin can give me vasculitis. I am quite shocked! Is vasculitis fatal?

The short answer is that vasculitis is fatal in only very rare cases. In fact, vasculitis is no more than a generic term for a variety of diseases that cause alterations in the blood vessels. This can be widening, thickening or blockages, and it can range from harmless to quite serious. On top of that, most bouts of vasculitis go away on their own, but it is possible to get chronic vasculitis. Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it at this stage. If it really bothers you, perhaps you can discuss different medication with your doctor.