Hi, my brother has started to train sprinting and I would like to help him to achieve good results. He has very good coach and I would like to help him with other things like foods.
I would like to know should sprint runners have specific nutrition. Thank you very much.

Hi, sprinters definitely have different nutrition than ordinary people. However it is not drastically different but they have to use more carbohydrates which would provide enough energy for their explosive training. Also they need to take enough water which may prevent dehydration. However their meals have to be taken at least 30 minutes before training.

Hello pincus398,

It is so commendable that you are so interested in your brother’s wellbeing. Since mar1363 has partly answered your question I would just like to add that sprinters need to have special nutrition which will include enough protein to build and maintain lean muscle mass and enough slow-burning carbohydrates to help them when the race day comes.

Protein-rich foods are: yogurt, skim milk, beans, nuts, poultry, lean meats and eggs.

Your brother can eat carbohydrates such as doughnuts and baked goods but this won't provide lasting energy. Instead he should consume whole grains, fruits and vegetables and this will keep blood sugar steady.

I hope that your brother will have successful carrier and that you are continue to help him to accomplish his goal.