Few days ago I was diagnosed with bacterial infection of my skin called folliculitis. I would like to know more about this condition. What happens if it is left untreated?

Bacteria such as some Staphylococcus species, Acinetobacter etc. live on normal skin and cause no harm. However, some bacteria invade normal skin or wounds causing infection of the wound. Bacteria, like viruses can also sometimes result in rashes. Folliculitis is the name given to a group of skin conditions in which there are inflamed hair follicles and the result is a tender red spot. It often results with a surface pustule and it can be due to infection, occlusion, irritation and specific skin diseases. To determine if folliculitis is due to an infection, swabs need be taken from the pustules for culture in the laboratory. Bacterial folliculitis is commonly caused by Staphylococcus aureus. If the infection involves the deep part of the follicle, it can result in a painful boil. Treatment for this condition includes careful hygiene, antiseptic cleanser or cream, antibiotic ointment and oral antibiotics. If it is left untreated, it will only get worse.