Hi, I was thinking about having a dog and would like to get information. I was diagnosed hiv infection 2 months ago. I know that am immunocompromised and that easily can be infected by viral or bacterial disease. I’m not that familiar with the facts about these microbes. For example, herpies virus, that is very common in people with hiv. Can it be transferred from dog to a person? I mean, if the disease is not manifested that is infected and one can not know what‘s going on. Please post. I’d really like to have a dog, because I’m having hard time since got the results of the test. Thanks.

As I know, viruses can infect only specific cells in specific hosts. Many viruses are human specific, but few can be carried from other species, like rabies virus that is transmitted by bite of infected dog. Herpes virus is transmitted by direct contact-kissing or by sexual contact. So, as the theory says there should be no way that herpes can be transmitted from animal to a person, but you should better consult your physician and check your immune status again.