My daughter is 30 years old and she got lung inflammation, that her doctor said is pneumonia. Now I understand that is an inflammation of the lung, but I do not know what causes it. I just know my daughter used to be health and I do not understand how she got it. Can you tell me more about this disease called pneumonia? Especially, I would like to hear what causes it, are there some different types of pneumonia?

Most commonly, pneumonia is caused by infection with bacteria, viruses, and other organisms. This disease is usually triggered when a patient's defense system is weakened, most often by a simple viral upper respiratory tract infection. Such infections or other triggers do not cause pneumonia directly, which is interesting. Otherwise, they alter the mucous blanket thus encouraging bacterial growth. There are also some other factors that can make specific people susceptible to bacterial growth and pneumonia. Pneumonia is sometimes defined in one of two ways according to its distribution in the lung, whether it is lobar pneumonia, bronchopneumonia, or community-acquired pneumonia. It is likely to be caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae, which are the most common pneumonia-causing bacteria. Bacteria are the most common causes of pneumonia, but these infections can also be caused by other microbial organisms, so it is often impossible to identify the specific culprit. Many bacteria are categorized by the staining procedure used to visualize bacteria under a microscope, where the stains determine if they are gram-negative or gram-positive bacteria. This gives the physician an idea of the severity of the pneumonia, and clue for treating it.