hey this may sound stupid, but i was wondering if it was possible for me to contract the hpv virus from my boyfriend if we are both virgins and neither one of us had ever physically been with anyone else, so therefor i would not get cervical cancer. and can u get cervical cancer with out getting the hpv virus...thanks so much for any info.....

Hello, I'm not a doctor, but I have been doing a lot of online reading about HPV over the last 2-3 months. I have 2 bachelor degrees, but not in the medical or scientific field.

From what I have found, it is still possible to get HPV, even as a virgin, but let us clarify what virgin means to you (there is high incidence of cervical cancer in prostitutes, and much less in nuns): HPV can be transmitted by the touching of genitals by the hands, transfer from the hands to the genitals, oral contact and genital to genital contact, even without penetration or bodily fluid transfer, so it doesn't require "intercourse" to be transmitted. Because of the nature of transmission I have described, even the use of condoms does not completely protect you from having skin to skin contact around the genitals and contracting HPV. Apparently in rare cases, HPV can also be transmitted by sharing moist towels, and in hot tubs and similar contact.

So if you and your boyfriend are virgins in all the senses of not having ANY kind of sexual contact with anyone, or sexual contact with a person who had also not had ANY sexual contact, AND you have never shared towels with friends or family, then it is fairly certain you do not have HPV. The last factor of risk for HPV, is only if it was transmitted to you by your mother during childbirth, which apparently is quite rare.

Hope this helps. I have found it difficult to get all the facts in one place, and I encourage you to not just take my word for it, but to do more research and confirm what I have found. The medical profession, in my findings, has not been actively educating people about what behaviors (sexual and hygienic) increase the risk of contracting several high risk varieties of HPV, leading to (generally) slow growing cervical cancer. I suppose they have their hands full with more dangerous risks to our lives and can only do so much, but this info included in sex education could make a difference to the population's sexual behavior.

I myself have identified questions for myself about HPV that I wish to find the answers to online. Good luck with your search.

-Warm regards from Australia,
Aimee