My boyfriend infected me with high-risk cancerous hpv. I then had the leep surgery done. I had only been infected for 5 months and my gyn told me that before my leep I was "one step away from full-blown cancer". Nothing in my life has ever made me so scared. Because of the surgery I am no longer infected, but ofcourse my boyfriend still is. I am extremely scared of him giving it to me again. Is it possible to catch the same type of hpv again?

You hava a virus so it will never go away, because you boyfriend has it and if you keep having sex it can trigger it to become undormat. thats why it is very important to keep getting checked every 3 months to make sure that your HPV hasnt come back!

From what i know about hpv and general herpes.. once you have them in your system you have them forever.. they never go away. There is no cure. So really you dont have to "worry" about catching it again.. sorry hun.. what is done is done.

if you don't know anything about this, don't leave a f*****g post! scaring people to death, you should be ashamed of yourself. Stacy, stop leaving posts on message boards like this and ask a DOCTOR. HPV does go away it is NOT like genital herpes (where you never get rid of it)...HPV stands for human papillomavirus...you get it from any kind of genital contact so that's whether you use condoms or not, whether its vaginal sex or oral sex or anal sex. it is VERY common....80% of women will have had HPV at least once by the time they're 35. the LEEP procedure WORKS and you won't get HPV again as long as you stop having sex with partner(s) who have it. meaning, yes, you will keep getting it again if you continue to have sex with your infected boyfriend. so you've got to decide if its worth it. i personally would break up with him, because they can't treat men for HPV the only way it goes away is if his body clears it up on its own. oh, and there's no way to test guys for HPV either so the only way you know if YOUR GUY has it is when you get that call after a PAP smear with the nurse telling you you need to come back in cause something's wrong.

HPV is a serious thing. It first started out with a ASCUS then went to other stages. I have been through many check ups biospy and colposcopy and pap smears. I was so terrified. I then went for laser surgery not too long ago. I have a very foul discharge that I never had. right now. I called my doctor he siad it was totally normal. I am freaking right now. Once you have HPV you can get rid of it. I had it for many years now. The reason was beacuse my body was not fighting it off. The only way to get rid of it is your immune system has to build up and get rid of it on it's own or you have laser surgery or leep or those other methods. You can get HPV from condom or no condom it is very scary it makes you not even want to have sex anymore. The day of surgery I was so damm scared. They put you to sleep after I woke up I was in recovery. I felt no pain I guess my doctor was pretty good. Anyway I just want a reply back on anyone who had laser surgery from HPV and what affects did they go through after procedure. I found out once you get rid of it you can only get it again from a new partner that has a different strand of hpv. There are many strands out there. Guys do not have a clue and there are no test for them, we the women have to suffer. Ladies trust me i did my homework and I am sure of what I say. If any replies please feel free. If you are wondering once you get treated and it is goene you don't have to worry about getting it agin because your body is already immuned to the type just as you don't go out and sleep with a new partner and get infected with a different strand. There is no passing back and forth once you are cleared even if you partner has it.

HPV will never go away it is a STD virus, virus will never completly go away.And yes you chould get cancer from it or you chould get warts and the only way to remove the warts is a laser. I have HPV and i have done lots of studying about it so i know a couple of things. Also if you are your long term parntner have HPV it is ok to have sex but only with your parnter the same kind of HPV can not jump back and forth, once you have it you have it ,it will only go away by itself. Make sure every 6to12 months you get a pap test done by your doctor be safe stay faithful to your partner or you will get worst.

ok, some of that information is wrong.... yes you can get cancer from hpv, yes 80% of women have it. but only some womens body cant fight the virus so they devlope CIN 1 CIN 2 and CIN 3 CIN 1 is PRE cancer cells which are NOT cancer but have the potential to develop into cancer. your pap smear will usuall come back abnormal if you have this. CIN 2 is more pre cancer cells and ususally you have them removed to prevent cancer. CIN 3 usually is the stage right before cancer and is more serious. if you have the PRE cancer cells removed usually its over an done with but you can get it again from the same partner. HPV is no way associated with genital warts, it is a strain of the virus but you dont have genital warts. you can continue having a relationship with your current partner so dont let anyone scare you into thinking you cant! if you do get it again it might not develop into CIN 2 or CIN 3 again but stay dormant. although you will require a colposcopy every year to keep it under check. For this virus to develop into cancer takes years! not months, weeks or days! so it is possible you got it off someone else. It is unusual for women not to contact HPV sometime in their lives, although like i said before, some people can cure it themselves. If you have any other questions see your doctor and dont let these people scare you into thinking that its a serious thing! because they are wrong! although it does have the potential to develop into one.

See your doctor.

!

Alot of this information is kind of all over the place. Hpv is a virus and your body will carry the virus forever acording to my doctor. Also even if you have it you only have one strain and different strains do different things so if you have one strain you can still get another and cause even more problems.

**edited by moderator**

I had the Leep in 1999 and apparently got HPV again and must have another leep soon. I am upset with my doc from 1999 because he never explained to me what HPV was. I feel stupid because I did not know it was an STD seeing commericials and until my doctor warned me to be more careful in the future. Almost ten years later and it dawned on me after those words. I will be more careful I treasure my body. What's worst she told me after having this surgery twice I can still get pregnant but if I have it a third time my cervix may not be able to carry a baby. Something to think about for sure.

actually people.. HPV never goes away, and it has EVERYTHING to do with genital warts. Your immune system can overtake HPV though eliminating the symptoms with time, but, it will still remain in your skin cells being able to re-appear at any time.

it is so sad how many of you people claim to know what youre talking about, even those that have hpv. once u get hpv you always have it. even if you get cancer or warts removed they may come back. it is always contagious and it does stay with you forever. the kinds that cause cancer dont cause warts but once u get one strand of hpv, you can still be infected with other kinds. its just logical. even if you think you dont have hpv you should get tested and get a Gardasil vaccination asap!!! my advice-dont have sex with anyone until youve finished your gardasil shots!! then you will probably never have to deal with this. and after that, always use condoms!!!!!!always! its doing yourself and everyone else a favor! and dont have sex with guys who might be promiscuous because chances are hes carrying hpv, even if he never has warts

Strictly speaking, you're right. Once you've got a virus, you've got it. But my doctor told me that most of the time, with a healthy immune system, it does go away on its own after a year or two sometimes. And from my reading up on it, it seems like he's right. Some people's go away, some stay the same, and some get worse. But it is possible to get a PAP smear and test positive for HPV and then test negative again the next year...At least, that's what I understood from my doctor.

Unfortunately the HPV virus itself can NOT go away. The virus will FOREVER stay in your system. How do I know? I actually have it. Some of these people that are saying the virus can go away obviously do not have it and dont know the actual facts.

The virus will NEVER go away. BUT your symptoms can if u treat them. Im going in for surgery soon to cut out the cancer infected parts (last biospy results came back precancer)

I got HPV last year and I went in for the LEEP surgery. It wasn't as painful as it was scary and very invasive. I also had the discharge that was not pretty and I got an antibiotic to clear it up. I went back to the doctor 3 months later and she said my PAP was normal. It's been 6 months and I went back to my new doctor and she called and told me my PAP was abnormal. I don't know what this means.... but if it is possible that I have the virus again I'm not sure I can handle the LEEP surgery again. Not to mention that if they remove or laser off too much of your cervix you are unlikely to have children because the cervix is too thin. Not only am I freaking out but I'm mad. That surgery not only cost quite a bit, but I just don't think I can keep going thru this again. Let me know if anyone has had something similar to this happen to them.

Endeavor to quell your sexual urges and wait for that one gentleman that loves you for who you are and not just out for a good time (why buy the cow if you can get free milk?). Yeah, it an ideal but it is doable and it will keep you abortion-free (guilt-free) and disease free as well as psychologically healthier. There are still good men out there... I found me one and that was 32 years ago.

Stay strong!
Emma