I had chalazion surgery two weeks ago. Before the surgery my doctor told me that my vision was being affected by the chalazion -- it was causing a temporary astigmatism. He removed the chalazion surgically and told me my vision should return in a week or so. It's been two weeks and I'm still having vision issues. The swelling from the surgery has gone down but my vision has not returned to normal. Has anyone experienced this or have some advice for me. It's freaking me out. I had 20/15 vision before the chalazion appeared.

Thanks!!!

I also had chalazion surgery two weeks ago and I am also having vision issues. The swelling has gone totally but my vision has not turned to normal. I was examined by my doctor before the surgery and I had a small vision problem but before I had chalazion my vision was perfect. He told me that this can be because of the pressure of the chalazion.
Now I had the surgery, and I have a small amount of liquid going out from my eye. I think thats why it causes vision problems. My doctor told me to to wait more 2-3 weeks to see how it will change.

I just had my chalazion surgery today. My doc said it's 4-6 weeks before all is back to normal, including the vision.

is your vision back??? :/

Hi I have had mine removed abt two weeks ago aswell, but I still see a lump. Is that normal at all?

that happened to me, and for me the lump meant the chalazion didnt go away, so a month later i had to get another surgery. what you can do in the meantime is see if it goes away by itself. my eye doctor told me to keep applying warm compresses to the eye 4-5x/day. it will mostly likely go away with enough heat. a good trick he told me was to put some rice in a sock and heat it in the microwave for about 30 seconds, it stays much warmer than putting hot water on a towel.

It has been two weeks and one day since I also had surgery for the same problem. My vision was excellent before the eye problem and became blurring with the lump on my eye. I will keep you posted on whether my vision returns to normal. I plan on calling the doctor tomorrow to see if this is normal.

Hi I was unlucky enough to have these things on both eye lids at the same time. in April 2011 I had surgery to remove 2 chalazion cysts on my right eye lid. One of them was 4mm round and wide and was pressing down on the inside of my eye so my vision was really bad.
I had seen an eye Specialist to book in for removal, and 2 Optometrists for help & answers then finally gave in when the last one made up a prescription for glasses. While they were being made my surgery date had been moved forward & I had Cysts removed earlier. After the healing It took around 2 to 3 weeks to come right. And i never needed the glasses. The cyst on left eyelid comes & goes but no where as bad as the right.
Unfortunately 10 months later I now have another on the right eye lid and my vision is being affected again. Here I go with the J&J baby shampoo & antibiotics again. Hang in there People. Good Luck with your healing.

so your vision did go back to normal??? becuase i had mine done like 3 days ago and im getting blurred vision and im freaking out!!

I had my chalazion removed a little more than a year ago - I didn't notice any vision problems til after the surgery.  Now the eye that was operated on has blurriness when I look into the distance.  I asked my surgeon and he said it was unrelated...but I doubt that.  I've never had any problems before and the visual loss occurred from a few days after surgery.

If you have a bump immediately after surgery - this could be the swelling.  If you have a bump for a month after surgery - this could be another chalazion/the surgery wasn't done properly.

I'm still worried that my eyelid is still red on the inside, it looks like there are a lot of blood vessels there, even after a year.

had the same surgery 8 days ago and am having blurred vision.  I am wondering if I will ever see clearly again

Veggie - You posted over a year ago regarding your chalazion and that it caused astigmatism.

I too have astigmatism so was wondering did yours clear up and how many weeks in total?

Thanks Sarah

Hi Veggie,
I have the same problem you describe here. How is your vision now? Do you still have astigmatism? Its been only a week since I got chalazion. I am scarred of my blurred vision. Anyway I found this link helpful with the comment from a doctor, he says its very very rare for an adult to get permanent astigmatism. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I had a chalazion removed one year ago and continue to have blurred vision, as if the eye is looking through water. On bad days I can't even read street signs. I have been to about 6 doctors, and none of them take me seriously. The vision fluctuates drastically from day to day, minute to minute. Nothing helps. Before this, I could see perfectly clear. Now, I have an astigmatism... And every doctor gives me a different prescription. Has anyone's vision improved? Suggestions? Hope? Thank you

Follow doctor's advice. Take precaution whenever required.