I doubt my brother’s vision is not so good lately. He is only 9 years old, but once he told me he feels his vision is something like slightly blurred. First I was thinking he was kidding me because he did not complain about it to parents but lately he had headaches and he told me (this time to parents too) his vision is distorted at all distances, when he look at the book or something that is far away. I heard astigmatism is vision disorder, but is it possible that could happen to him, I mean he is so young. We are planning to visit the doctor but I can’t wait to hear. What a tigmatism actually is and how to treat it?

It is not only adults who can have a stigmatism, that is true. There were some researches about it where was found more then 28 percent of children had a stigmatism. Children may be even more unaware of the condition. They are unlikely to complain of the blurred or any kind distorted vision. Unfortunately, a stigmatism can affect their ability to see good during normal day, when they play, during sports, specially during time they spend in school. It is very important to have his eyes examined at regular intervals in order to detect any astigmatism as earlier as it is possible.
A stigmatism occurs when the front surface of the eye has an irregular curvature. This disorder is known as refractive errors. It causes a disturbance in the way that light rays are focused within the eye. Usually it occurs with nearsightedness and farsightedness that are also caused from refractive errors. Astigmatism is not disease then just it means you have a variation or disturbance in shape of your cornea. This vision disorder is quite common.
If there is not some other problems like nearsightedness or farsightedness, corrective lenses may not be needed. But in his case with eyestrain, headache or distort of vision, he will need lenses for clearing vision and making it more comfortable.
The corrective lenses for astigmatism are called Toric lenses and have an additional power element called a cylinder. In one axis they have greater light-bending power then in others. Refractive surgery is also included for correcting some forms of a stigmatism.