If I walk for about half a minute while holding my breath, then deep breathing automatically follows. Does this produce the same health effects as running? Is holding breath like this beneficial for the heart?
Does this have any damaging effects on the brain?

More like beneficial for the lungs to increase capacity if anything.

When you run the heart rate usually moves to the fat burning zone.

This does not happen when you hold your breath.

It doesn't damage the brain however. You would breathe before it could.

When you exercise, you breathe in aair which fills ur lungs, then travels to your heart. The heart then takes the oxygen to any moving muscles to help them move, if you don't breathe.. u don't move. As you hold your breathe it gets harder and harder to exercise and when u finally release it, you body has to breathe in more air to make up for the lack of oxygen. Thats why if u swim as far as you can underwater with one breath, you will feel very weak when you come up

I use this technique when walking to work for over 10 years about one and one half miles. Running or jogging injures my 60 year old knees. Walking briskly after a while does not even make me breathe hard, so I added breath holding to my walking and tread mill walking so that I could get my heart rate up. My blood pressure is now normal and I find that when i do more strenuous activities like lifting , carrying, or climbing stairs i do not get out of breath like my age mates that may be accompanying me. It might be the years of walking, but I think breath holding during gentle exercise tricks the sub conscious brain into making adjustments to your cardio vascular system to help it function at a more efficient level. For sure it really feels good to absolutely pump my lungs to refresh the O2 in my blood , remove the CO2 and to remove the lactic acid that can build up in my muscles during breath holding.

I am also doing it. it is really helpful. I am getting result in 10 days.