I enthusiastically decided to start running. Unfortunately I’m obviously breathing incorrectly since after only a five-minute run I’m gasping for air. I’m seriously considering quitting running, but I don’t want to be a quitter before I try as much as I can. It would be a shame to give up after only a month. Please tell me some breathing exercises. Maybe they can help me overcome this problem.

Of course it would be a shame, especially if we take into consideration that you actually haven’t started running properly and the problem you have is not unsolvable. People usually don’t pay much attention to breathing. They think it’s enough to put on running shoes, get out and start running. It’s not so. Breathing is one of the most important components of each sports activity. If you don’t breathe properly, oxygen doesn’t reach your heart, muscles and brain in necessary amounts, which results in great exhaustion, dizziness and other unpleasant symptoms. There are exercises for establishing a proper breathing pattern. You can first try so-called deep breathing exercise. Deeply inhale through your nose until your abdomen rises, hold your breath until you count to five and exhale through your mouth while counting to ten. This exercise also helps you relax.