Something is troubling me very much. I’m, generally speaking, healthy and I’ve never had serious health problems. But I’ve put on some weight recently and that’s why I’ve decided to start cycling in order to reduce it. But the problem is that my heart rate is very high while I’m cycling. Sometimes I have to stop in order to rest for a while. I don’t know whether I breathe properly while cycling or this might be a sign that something is wrong with my heart.

First of all don’t panic! Of course there’s always the possibility that something is wrong with us and that our body is signaling to us that we should do something about that. I’m not an expert, but in my opinion your weight in combination with possible improper breathing pattern causes these troubles. But, I think that you should go and have a medical check-up before you continue with any sports activity. In the meantime, try learning how to breathe properly during any sports activity and try some breathing techniques for increasing lung capacity. One of them is deep breathing. Or you can try the exercise that is the basic breathing technique for swimmers – holding your breath. Your diet should also be balanced.