Hi, I am a twenty five years old woman. I am in my second trimester of pregnancy. It seams that I have a problem. It is as if I can not hold on long enough to go to the bathroom. At first I thought that there was something going on with my bladder. My mother in low convinced me otherwise. She thinks that I have a week sphincter. What does this mean?

Hi, your mother in low can very much be right. Sphincter is a muscle that makes it possible for us to, let me put it in plain English, go to the bathroom in time. This muscle is developing as we do. That is why infants, toddlers and small children need to wear diapers since they do not have the ability to control sphincter. In time we learn to control its function and get potty trained, so to say. Since you are pregnant, it is natural to gain weight. Some other changes also occur. The weight and other physical changes can affect sphincter. This is probably what has happened to you. The uterus pressures the bladder, and the urine in it can put extra pressure on the sphincter too. Because of them your sphincter may be weaken and that is why the problem you have emerged. After the child birth you sphincter will get back under your control.