Hi, I am a mother to a four year old boy. I think he has a problem. He is still in diapers, and I just cannot train him to use a pot. This is making me very angry. I believe I have tried everything but nothing works. I was hoping that you can be of assistance. Can you please tell me what should I do in order to get my son to use a pot?

Hi, I have had similar problems with my son. He was also four when my husband and I realized that he is too old to wear diapers. And so we decided on this move. We told him that the diapers are no longer for him, during the day, since he is old enough to use a pot. We also said that he will be responsible for the change of the clothes if he decides to wet them. Couple of times that is exactly what happened. Naturally we helped him a bit. In a week or so, he started using the pot. You will not believe what happened next. Not only that we were satisfied with the results, but our son was feeling very happy and proud because of the change. We also complemented him by saying that he is a big boy now and things like that. Give it try. There is nothing to lose. At the end, if that does not work as well, you should take your son to a professional who will deal with this potty problem.

I had the same power struggle with my son when he was three. I was frustrated to no end. Toys, stickers, praising, special underwear - Nothing worked. I finally sat him down and showed him his new underwear and told him that he was a "big boy" and that he was going to have to wear underwear like his daddy from now on. He had many, many "accidents" for about 1.5-2 days, but then, suddenly, figured out that he was going to have to go to the potty to stay dry. He has been dry ever since. There is one thing I should mention - A friend of mine told me not to put anything on him but underwear, even at night, so he wouldn't get confused. I went to the store and got a vinyl cover for his mattress, just in case, but he has been dry every night, with the exception of maybe three nights in the past 1.5 years. Good luck!