I was dx with over active bladder and was rx vesicare and i saw so of the side effects and they are pretty scary. i was wondering can this get better without meds. I had this problem since i was young. I wet the bed until I was 13 years old and sometime now I'm 34. I have to wear a pad everyday. HELP! :-(

An over active bladder may have emotional causes. I wet the bed until I was 10. At the time I was bullied at school and I dreaded going to school every day. All this went away as soon as I started growing bigger and was able to fend for myself. Kegel exercise may be helpful by strengthening the pelvic floor, giving you more control.

If coughing, laughing, sneezing, or other movements that put pressure on the bladder cause you to leak urine, you may have stress incontinence. Physical changes resulting from pregnancy, childbirth, and menopause often cause stress incontinence. This type of incontinence is common in women and, in many cases, can be treated.

Kegel exercises are the perfect start to help this issue. Try not to squeeze other muscles at the same time. Be careful not to tighten your stomach, legs, or buttocks. Squeezing the wrong muscles can put more pressure on your bladder control muscles. Just squeeze the pelvic muscles. Don’t hold your breath. Do not practice while urinating.

Repeat, but don’t overdo it. At first, find a quiet spot to practice—your bathroom or bedroom—so you can concentrate. Pull in the pelvic muscles and hold for a count of three. Then relax for a count of three. Work up to three sets of 10 repeats. Start doing your pelvic muscle exercises lying down. This is the easiest position to do them in because the muscles do not need to work against gravity. When your muscles get stronger, do your exercises sitting or standing. Working against gravity is like adding more weight.

Be patient. Don’t give up. It takes just 5 minutes a day. You may not feel your bladder control improve for 3 to 6 weeks. Still, most people do notice an improvement after a few weeks.