I had a vaginal laparoscopic hysterectomy on Dec. 16, 2009, during which the doctor cut my right ureter tube. I was supposed to be in the hospital only one night and go home the next day, but due to the ureter cutting I had to stay 4 days with horrendous pain. I want home with a catheter bag, drain bag and stent. On Christmas day I had to return to the hospital with horrible pain, so bad I couldn't even walk. I was in the hospital for 5 days due to the fact that the doctors could not find out what was wrong. Ended up it was caused from ecoli and other infections. I had to return 2 more times, each for replacing the stents that did not work to correct the problem of the ureter. I had to return to the hospital again in Feb. for yet another incident of extreme pain. This time it was for 8 days, and on the 7th day the doctors finally found out that it was due to a pocket of fluid and abcess. I had to have another drain tube put in which had to be done very deeply in the lower pelvic area. The fluid pocket was drained of about 600cc of fluid. I went home the next day. The ureter still would not heal, so I had to have open surgery with an incision of about 8 inches to correct the ureter by re-implantation. By this time, after all the trimming of the ureter tube, there was not enough to implant into the bottom of the bladder, so they re-implanted it into the top of the bladder where it barely reached. Since the final surgery I have to urinate about every 1-1 1/2 hours and can hardly wait to get to the bathroom. I still have pain every once in a while on my right side. The urologist said I should be fine now, but I just wonder if that will be the case. This whole ordeal has cost me my job, and a ton of medical bills. Do you think this is a case of malpractice? I am dealing with an attorney and he seems to think it is. My gyno told me the ureter tube was behind something else and she could not find it before cutting. She told one of the nurses the day after surgery it was because the table was too low and she could not manipulate the laparoscopic tools properly. My husband heard her tell the nurse this, I was still out of it when she came in early in the morning and she thought my husband was sleeping and he was not. I would very much appreciate your opinion. Thank You.

%-) Isn't it amazing how much signing a consent for surgery can be lifechanging! It had a lap assisted vag. hyst with sling procedure for stress incontinence in November. Went home with a foley...not unusual-but when I returned to the clinic on day 5 post-op still couldn't get rid of the foley and had this irritating right flank pain. "see you back in 5 days..." I was in the ED that night, septic with a perforated bowel...ending with a temporary colostomy, large verticle incision from my belly button to my pubic bone. I am 5"3 and 110 lbs with not so much as a strretch mark on my belly. I just was hoping to have an end to the stress incontinence so I could run in a race without wetting my pants....I was released 10 days later and the next DAY was incontinent of urine. Long story short...my colostomy was reversed and I havve had no issues since, but after 3 stents to heal my BURNED ureter I healed enough to run my first 10K the end of MAy and despite some very ugly scars, went to Mexico with my husband. During my acute illness I used up every day of sick time and vacation I had and was blessed to have some dear friends donate time to my cause. Thinking it was all behind me I had my first follow-up IVP since the last of the stents had come out and low and behold the ureter is again closed. Now in two weeks I go back in for a ureteral reimplantation with possible psoas hitch. So, tell me, how did that surgery go for you? I have heard stories about bladder spasms, etc. and wonder how long in hosp, and off work? The reason the questions is my urologist gave me the news and then jumped on a plane for 3 weeks of vacation! Ok, now here I am with a swollen kidney, reduced GFR and the feeling like no one really cares once you leave their office! I am a healthy 46 year old who works out daily and oh, yeah, I am a nurse!!
Life has changed for me a lot now that I have been on this side of the bedpan!
Good luck and God bless!

I had a huge kidney stone removed a month ago and my physician cut my ureter. He left the stent and said I could easilly loose my life if he takes it out too soon. The pain is severe and the only comfort I have is taking morphine and laying flat on my back. The burning in my urethra area is terrible. Do you know of anything to soothe it? What is the name of that spray medication women used to use for stitches after having a baby naturally? That was really soothing but I can't remember the name of it........I will try anything....I CAN'T STAND IT LIKE THIS FOR THE NEXT 3 WEEKS THAT HE WANTS ME TO. ALSO, HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO HEAL? Please help me!!!!!!!!!!
Cathy

The surgery for the reimplantation was pretty bad, the incision was larger than I thought it would be, and I was soooo very sore. There was not enough ureter tube to reach the bottom of the bladder where it is supposed to go, so the urologist had to reimplant it into the top of the bladder. I am so afraid I will problems down the road, because he could not put it where it should be. I am 52 years old and hope I never have to go through anything like this again.

Good luck and God bless you!

Let me know how everything turns out?

My surgery for the ureter tube re-implantation was worse than I thought it was going to be. The incision went from the navel to the pubic bone, much larger than I had imagined. The doctor could not re-implant the tube into the bottom of the bladder, where it is supposed to be because there was not enough left to reach. He had to re-implant the tube into the top of the bladder. Hoping this will not be a problem down the road. When I woke up from the surgery, I was in horrible pain and the nurses had given me so much morphine which wasn't even working. Finally they gave me another kind of pain medication which helped somewhat. The incision was very painful, but the urologist placed a pain pump which helped a little. Before I went home from the hospital, the urologist This stent really caused a lot of back pain and I had to urinate a lot. The incision took quite a while to heal and I still have pain on the right side, which may be coming from adhesions... not sure. I still have to urinate a lot, about every 1-1 1/2 hours.
Since I had to have so many surgeries because of the cut ureter tube, I am still having a lot of problems. I cannot sleep, have to take vitamin B-12 shots, 50,000 units of vitamin D every 2 weeks, slow release iron pills, and have had my thyroid medication increased 3 different times. I am still not able to go to work, due to how I am feeling and not being able to sleep. My family doctor is trying to find out what is going on with me. I do have chronic fatigue but she isn't sure why I am having all the vitamin and thyroid problems. I am 52 years old and sure hope I never have to go through anything like this again. This whole process started with a hysterectomy and ended up in a total nightmare. I have been dealing with all of this since Dec. 16, 2009. :x
Good luck and God bless you!
Let me know how everything turns out, praying for you!Quote:

I am so sorry for what has happened to you. March 10, 2009 will be noted as one of the worst days of my life. I had a LAVH on this day and my trusted doctor burned my left ureter. More than a year and a half later, I am still in daily chronic pain with urinary retention. My urethra feels like it is being electrocuted when my bladder fills. The Urologist who preformed my re-implant had to attach my bladder on to my hip flexor to compensate for the shorter ureter. He injured the nerve in my leg that has sent hot burning pain down my leg and into my lower abdomen. I tried pursuing medical malpractice, but in CA a ureter burn is considered a known risk. Nine attorneys told me I had no case and would not represent me. If I would have known the risks involved I would have rather hemorrhaged every month rather than have this. And I though my cycle controlled my life! I pray that you will totally recover. This has been a difficult road for all who have posted their stories..... Christ alone has been my strength.

I had a robotic hysterectomy on June 9, 2010 where my ureter was cut. Went home from hospital with right abdominal pain and ended up in the ER that night with severe pain. A CAT scan showed my kidney was swollen and they suspected a ureter injury. Had re-implant surgery with hitch with Dr. on call. Unfortunately, I was sent home with a UTI. When I complained of kidney pain, I was told it was the stent and bladder spasms from the catheter. Ended up in the hospital a week later with a bad kidney infection. I kept getting UTI's that wouldn't go away and realized after IVP that scar tissue had completely closed my ureter at the bladder. I had my third surgery August 24, 2010 and they had to cut my bladder in half and reshape it in order to get the length needed to attach the ureter again. My kidney infections continued and I have been in and out of the hospital over the last couple of months. I am now on vancomycin for suspected bacterial colitis caused from all of the heavy antibiotics I was on. I still have a lot of discomfort in my right flank--hoping it is just the colitis and will go away. Never thought I would be gravely ill for 5 months and counting, but I agree with the post above--only my faith in Jesus Christ has pulled me through! I know he allows all things for a reason and he is making good out of my suffering in my life and and the life of others around me.

I am 52 year old woman and i had my hysterectomy done by lapscroscopic method on october 22nd 2010 and my gyno burnt my right ureter! I had to go through horrible pain and surgery . I had my reimplantation of right ureter done on dec. 2nd 2010.

Now my question is iwhen can i start exercise like yoga, brisk walking etc. Foley and stent were removed on december 20th 2010. I still have pain and discomfort while passing urine. Any suggestion please!

The best natural pain relief that I can recommend is pouring very warm water down between your labia to start your urine flow. I am two years into this, original post was 9/8/10. I have found that pilates is the only exercise that my bladder and leg pain will tolerate. I just recently purchased a reformer. I too was very active and have struggled with missing my speed walking and running. Also, there is a wonderful supplement called CystoProtek. I have to choke down the price when purchasing a bottle on line, but it helps with the bladder pain. Hope this helps! Sorry for your experience.

It's unbelievable how many women have had to suffer through ureteral damage during their hysterectomy! I too had this happen to me in Oct 2010...had total hysterectomy due to endometriosis. My ureter was stapled shut, had the nephrostomy tube...abcess drains...and ureter reimplantation Jan 25, 2011. So I am 5 weeks postop...and the stent is horrible, constant pain. I have 9 more days left, and it will be removed. I am praying that once the stent is out, that my life will be somewhat normal. I too am a nurse, and I never realized how devastating a surgical injury could be...physically, emotionally and financially. I am wondering if anybody has had any success in malpractice lawsuits??

I just had a total vaginal hysterectomy done through my abdomen. When I was in the recovery room I noticed a great deal of pain on my right side...I mentioned to my Dr when he came in. He had blood work done that night and sure enough...my kidney numbers were of concern.
I went in for two CT scans and they determined that my ureter had been cut/knicked during my hysterectomy.
I was immediately transferred to another hospital and they put the naphrostomy bag in place. I left the hospital 3 days later with surgery to repair the cut the following Tuesday (got to have a weekend without being wakened at HORRIBLE hours to ask me if my pain level!! Really...is it necessary to wake up a patient from a dead sleep to ask that question???
Anyway...I am so scared to go through this next phase to correct the first surgeons screw up.
What recourse do I have for malpractice?

Cindy,I recently had a laparoscopic hysterectomy done on July 19th.I came home to find that my ueter had a hole in it and urine was leaking into my pelvic area and coming out over my vaginal cuff. It became very painful I ended up with a nef tube in draining the left side into the bag. I thought this was to keep the urine from my pelvic area but I am still leaking. I had some concern so I called the office and two days later someone called me back. I told him I was still leaking his reponse was "There is nothing to do about that at this time,I do know that the (two doctors) are working hand n hand to come up with a plan". So it looks like I am six months pregant and I have pain 24/7. I am going back tomorrow to talk with the urogoly doctor but I really think I need a second opinion. My concern is all the urine going across my insicions from my Hysterectomy.??

DEAR BUT CINDY, MY NAME IS RENEE IN 2006 I HAD TVH WITH A BLADDER SLING YOUR STORY IS ALMOST CARBON COPY OF YOURS, I WOULD LOVE TO SHARE THE MOST SRESSFUL,PAINFUL BOTH EMOTIONALLY AND PHYSICALLY FOR MYSELF AND MY FAMILY. I WILL TELL YOU MY STORY WITH THE GREATEST EMPATHY AND UNDERSTANDING. I WAS 39 MARRIED WITH 3 DAUGHTERS WORKING AS A RN IN ICU, I WOKE UP ONE MORNING WITH LOCALIZED UTERUS PAIN AFTER DIAGNOSTIC TESTS COMPLETED I WAS DIAGNOSISED WITH ADENOMYOSIS FORM OF ENDOMETROSIS ONLY EFFECTS UTERUS WALL. MY GYNE TOLD MY NO CURE OR TREATMENT THATI WOULD EVENTUALLY NEED A HYSTERECTOMY, OF COURSE WORKING IN ICU 12 HR SHIFTS A FAMILY MY SYMPTOMS WERE DURING MY MENSES, IT STARTED TO PROGESSIVLEY GET WORSE, PAIN HEAVEY BLEEDING SO I SEEN MY GYNE SCHEDULED MY TVH FEB 13TH 2006 0730 IMMEDIATELY HAD SEVERE PAIN SPENT 2 EXTRA HOUR IN RECOVERY, RETURNED TO MY ROOM PAIN INCREASED, VOMITING MY JELLO BY 5PM, KNEES TO MY CHIN AND UNABLE TO STAND, AS A CRITICAL CARE RN I KNEW THIS ISNOT NORMAL, STAYED EXTRA DAY INCREASE DILAUDID DID POST VOID(AFTER URINATING) BLADDER SCAN SHOWING HIGH LEVELS OF RINE 1000CC 1200CC ANDWENT HOME WITH A FOLEY. MY PAIN CONTINUED DEFUSE ON RIGHT SIDE, FOLEY REMOVED AT DR OFFICE, REPORTED INCREASE PAIN, TOLD URINARY RETENTENTION, TOLD ME TO GO TO ER IF I NEEDED TO; HOME FOLEY OUT PAIN INCREASING I GO TO ER ADMITTED WITH PCA FOR PAIN, NO CT OF ABDOMEN 8 DAYS POST OP SCHOCKING DISCHARGED NEXT DAY AT NOON, BUT SORRY LET ME GO BACK WHEN IN THE ER FOLEY PLACED WITH SUCH SEVERE PAIN I NEEDED 2 MG OF DILAUDID, FOLEY INSERTION NO PLEASANT BUT NOT SEVERE PAIN, AGAIN DISCHARGED NEXT DAY A NOON NO TEST JUST TOLD RETAINNIG URINE AND TO MY DISBELIEF ONE OFGYNE COVERING HAD THE NERVE TO TELL ME THEY MADE ME A DRUG ADDICT FROM PAIN MEDS AFTER SURGERY, ADDICTION DOES'NT HAPPEN WITH TRUE PAIN,I CONTINUED WITH SEVERE RIGHT SIDE PAIN UNBEARABLE, RN CALLING DR HE STATES I  CANSTAY BUT MY INSURANCE MY NOT COVER, I AM A RN AT THE SISTER HOSPITAL OF COURSE THEY WILL PAY, MY MOTHER IN THE HALL OVER HEARD DISCHARGE RN STATE ROOM 2021 CANT STAY FOR STOMACH PAIN, AGAIN NO CT. THE DR. TOLD NURSING STAFF I WAS DRUG SEEKING NO HISTORY OF DRUG ABUSE FINALLY DOUBLED IN PAIN DISCHARGED HOME 7PM AWOKE AT 3AM PAIN SO SEVERE UNABLE TO WALK SIT CALL GYN ON CALL SENDS ME TO ER FOR CT SCAN FINALLY DIAGNOSISED WITH RIGHT URETER INJURY STENT PLACED, HEAL IN 6 WEEKS, HAD MUCH RELIEF BUT ICOULD STILL FEEL PAIN IN MY PELVIS CT DONE WITH CONTRAST I HAD INNOCULATED FLIUD SO PELVIS DRAIN PLACED THREW LOWER BACK DRAINED APPX 600CC-1000. NEXT DAY I NOTICE ITS URINE COLOR UROLOGIST SENDS TO LAB TO SEE IF URINE OR NOT, YES IS URINE PUTTING 100CC A SHIFT FOR A WEEK PELVIS AREA SO SATURATED WITH URINE NEPHROSTOMY DRAIN PLACED INTO RIGHT KIDNEY TO A BAG TO BY PASS URETER. NOW 14 DAYS IN HOSPITAL HOME WITH TWO DRAINS VISITING NURSE,BOTH DRAINS UNTIL MAY25TH THEN NEPHROSTOMY TUBE CLAMPED STENT REMOVED, I HAD MULTIPLY STENTS THREW OUT THIS ORDEAL, SO PLAN TO URINATE ON MY OWN BECAUSE MY 25% CHANCE TOHEAL IT DID TOLD TO REPEAT CT IN 30 DAYS;;IT HEALED BUT SCAR TISSUE STICTURED OF MY URETER SO URINE BACKING UP INTO KIDNEY I N0W I HAVE HYDRONEPHORSIS OF THE KIDNEY(ENLARGED) II WAS TOLD IF I DIDNT HAVE MY RIGHT URETER RE-IMPLANTED I WOULD LOOSE SO JULY 7TH 2006 8 INCH INCESSION CUT INJURED PART OFF AND ALSO LIKE YOURSELF PLACED ON TOP OF BLLADDER. I WAS IN HEIGHT OF MY CAREER TAKING A NEW POSITION I HAD LONG TERM SHORT TERM WHICH THEY FOUND 0NE CLAIMER IN POLICY TO CUT ME OFF, AFTER 2 YEARS OFF THE BOOKS AT HOSPITAL I WORKED, PAD COBRA 480 A MONTH, CONSTANT PAIN, IN AND OUT OF ER FINALLY ON PAIN REGIMEN, MULTIPLY NERVE BLOCK,BLADDER INFECTIONS. LOSST JOB, BECAME CLINICALLY DEPRESSED WITH POST TRAMATIC SYNDROME, CLAIMED BANKRUPTANCY, TOOK 3 YEARS TO GET SS DISABILITY. I KNOW THE TOLL IT TOOK ON YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. ONE ADVICE TO U I FILED I JUST SETTELED OUT OF COURT,  DIDNT GET WHAT I THINK I SHOULD NO PAY LOSS ETC... BUT PLEASE DONT DO WHAT I DID TRANSFER ANY FURTHER TREATMENT OUT OF THE MEDICAL SYSTEM WHERE IT HAPPENED THEY STONE WALL AND DO THIER BEST TO HELP THIER COLLEAGE, CRAZY I WAS A COLLEAGE, GET A NONBASIS OPINION AT ANOTHER HOSPITAL PLEASE I REGRET APPLY FOR SS DISABILITY THEY BACK PAY FROM DAY YOU APPLY I USED ALLSUP THEY WERE GREAT THE DID EVERYTHING INCLUDING ATTORNEY AT HEARING WITH JUDGE NO MONEY UP FRONT THEY TAKE A FEE BASED ON BACK PAY SO IF YOU FILE FEB 8 2008 IT SETTLES N0V 12 2011 YOUR GET PAID ALL THOSE MONTHS; ON A POSITIVE NOTE GOT A LUMP SUM OF 25K REMEMBERYOU HAVE 2 YEARS FROM SURGICAL DATE TO FILE...GOOD LUCK IF YOU WOULD LOVE TO TALK  I LIVE IN SPRING GROVE IL ON THE CHAIN OF LAKES MY NAME RENEE SCHECK CELL # 847-902-4524. ITS NICE TO NOT FEEL ALONE IT WAS SO LIFE CHANGING FOR ME; WOULD BE NICE TO TALK WITH SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS AND WENT THREW IT AS WELL, THANKS BEST WISHES THIS NEW YEAR, HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU CINDY BY THE WAY THIS IS MY HUSBAND DAVID SCHECK, EMAIL AND COMPUTER I'AM USING. TAKE CARE ANY ????PLEASE CALL

,

I'm glad I found this forum.I had a robotic hysterectomy on Dec 7 .the doctor broke my ureter tube,they tried to repair it while I was under..o woke up in severe pain and what looked like a pole bulging out ny side.I screamed in pain for 2, days till finally they have a cat scan and found that blood and urine was filling up in my abdomen so I had a emergency surgery by a second urologist on which I had a 5 inch incision. I stayed in hospital 2 weeks and kept stent in till Jan .13 after removal I experienced nausea and severe pain I went to er last Wednesday and they kept me sue to kidney infection,ureter tube blockage and swollen kidney ,I stayed for 4 days they now put 2 stents in my left ureter. It's been 3 days and now the pain is even worse so I'm waiting on a call from my doctor to see what i should do. Good thing is u found a lawyer who wants to take my case bad thing is I don't want to go through this forever it us ruining my life.I can't work because of daily pain. And question for Renee,do you think I can apply for SSI too or was ur claim due to more than one reason.I am only on short term disability with the job,I'm thinking about applying for long term.