About 2 years ago I started experiencing lower back pain on my right side and went to see my doc. He assumed it was kidney stones even though he was a little concerned that the pain wasn't nearly as sharp as he thought that it should be. He ran blood work, urine and ordered an ultrasound of my stomach, liver, kidney, pancreas (no gallbladder due to surgery 15 years ago) etc... Everything came back normal.

A few months later, the pain came back even worse than before so I headed over to emerge. After waiting for 8 hours without being called in, I decided to leave and the following day, back to the doctor I went. Another round of blood work, urine and ultrasound later, the only difference was a small trace of blood in my urine. Thinking that kidney stones were still the cause, off to the urologist I went. He examined me and said it's not due to kidney stones.

A few months later, the pain began to worsen, giving me sharp and dull pains throughout my right side (dull pain in the upper right quadrant, sharp stabbing pains in the lower right side) and one day I saw that I was bleeding badly when I urinated, so I called my urologist in a panic and he ordered me to have a CT done of my kidney and bladder, which showed a 9mm stone on my right kidney. Thinking that my yearlong mystery pain was finally solved, he told me to load up on water and prescribed me some pain meds and also to try and break down the stone. One thing that he said which deflated my good mood was that he was adamant that the stone in my kidney could not be the cause of the pain.

More months go by, the pain in my back and abdomen worsened ever more and I called my urologist and begged him to do something about the stone as I still believed that it was the cause of my pain. He ordered me another ultrasound, bloodwork and urine. The ultrasound came back negative (the urologist told me that all that meant was that there was no blockage but the stone could still be there), bloodwork was fine and there was still traces of blood in my urine. Since there was no blockage, again my urologist was adamant that the stone wasn't causing my pain.

Meanwhile the pain in my lower abdomen feels like my appendix will explode but it goes away only to come back again a few days later. My back pain never goes away but it's manageable. It's the abdominal pain that makes me keel over. Last week, my family doc ran further blood and urine and it came back negative, even for blood in the urine. My doc thinks I may be passing pieces of the stone. The urologist doesn't believe that this is what's happening. Throughout this 2 year ordeal, I haven't experienced issues with my ability to urinate, bowel movements are normal, no fever, weight loss, signs of a hernia or infection etc... The only thing that's ever come back from my tests that raised any eyebrows is the intermittent blood in the urine, which both docs believe is caused by the stone, but the source of my pain remains a mystery.

Could a stone that size, even if it stays in the kidney, be the source of my pain? If so, why is my urologist so adamant that it isn't? If it's not, what else could it be. I've gone on every medical website and they all say the same thing: stones, hernia, appendicitis, ulcer, cancer etc... None of the other possible causes seem to fit since I don't have the symptoms that are associated with any of the them, which leaves me with stones.... Help!! Any suggestions/ideas would really be welcome.

I have a similar problem that has been happening intermittently over the past seven months, all of my tests have come back as normal as well. Did you get an answer? I am still looking for an explanation for the pain I'm experiencing

It has been 2 years since your post so I was wondering what the outcome was? I am full of stones in both kidneys and I make them rapidly and wish they'd pass that way but they don't! I have had over 300 kub and ct's (various x-rays) since 1991 and they have gotten worse. I also have a 16mm stone embedded in the right tissue of my kidney and have been sent by my urologist to some of the best hospitals for consultation on having them removed and nobody will. They just say they are inoperable. I am now down to 30% function in the right kidney. I have had the same story about there are either no nerves or few nerves in the kidney so the stones in or those embedded can not be the cause of your pain. I am telling you and anyone who cares to listen that I don't care what the docs read in a book, they DO HURT IN THE KIDNEY!! They hurt in my back and the front of my abdomen and no they do not have to be in the ureter yet to hurt. Now call me crazy but as someone who has been living with both sides always full of kidney stones and every surgery related done multiple times I know first hand from experience what I feel! Where they get the info for their medical books or journals is beyond me but if the day ever comes they get one then they will also know the truth! They are reluctant to treat kidney stone pain now unless in ureter as they say there are no or few nerves in kidney so they have to have moved down to the ureter to hurt but firsthand I know that not to be true! please post or email me your experiences as I am starting a forum for this exact subject so us as patients have a voice! _[removed]_!

I have been experiencing back and abdominal pain for several years now. I have kidney stones in my right kidney. I had one removed a few years ago, it was lodged deap in the kidney and dr was sure that wasn't the issue but after spending a year ruling out all other possibilites I convinced him to remove the stone. Absolutely no pain afterward for a year, then I started having all same problems. Went back to dr and another kidney stone was found in the same exact spot. I still have to this day and manage but progressively is getting worse. I am verified proof that kidney stones can cause pain in the kidney!

Hello Gorge,

Before the pain started were you going through any kind of stressful situaitions?

I used to get kidney stones so I understand your pain. However, after many tests I think my problem is solved. I produce too much uric acid. I take allopurinol and so far so good.

Dude, have you done the H.pylori test?

Hi ! i read your post last week my daughter has the exact same pain she got admitted to hospital with sepsis 2 and a half weeks ago and was lucky to recover she was on life support for 3 days ,they said it was from a infection in her urinary track possibly blocked by kidney stones so they operated and put a drain in her kidney to bypass the blocked tube . since then she has struggled to walk for the dull pain in her lower back and shooting pains down to her  abdomen it makes her feel sick .At first they thought it was her appendix because her urologist said she shouldn`t still have pain now the drain is in, even if there is a stone blocking the tube . A pain specialist saw her today after 2 weeks of tests and put his finger on her back exactly where the pain starts and the pain shot down to her abdomen they have told her its a nerve near her kidney she is now on lidocaine patches for nerve damage ask your doctor because they pain you described is exactly the same . i really hope it helps you :-)

Could be cyst on your ovary. Get a pelvic ultrasound!

God, I'm amazed at how many people I see posting similar topics. I've been dealing with chronic pain for nearly 6 months now. Mine all stemmed for a work injury though. Four doctors, three MRI's, and several x-rays later I'm still no closer to getting relief than I was after it first happened. I've not been checked for kidney stones, but I severely doubt it. Same with my gallbladder or appendix. Though I've read a number of things about chronic appendicitis that have left me in cold sweats just from thinking about it. So if it helps even one person I'll tell a bit of my experience. Though I've taken multiple homeopathic "remedies" and alter my diet to see if noticed a chance. None. Trust me, I've been worrying about my appendix from day one. Thank God that's not it.

My lower back pain is chronic along with pain in the piriformis region and regular shooting sciatica pains. My lower right abdominal pain is always right below McBurney's point and is actually alleviated when I put pressure on it. Once in a while I'll feel it at the base of my pelvis, male by the way. While I may get a day or two of relief every couple weeks I often find my back tensing right back up and going in to spasm randomly.

The latest idea was "lumbago." I think that's really what doctors say when they've given up trying to figure it out. So I suggested what I'd read about and suggest you all check. Iliopsoas syndrome. One medical study I read said this could account for 8-14% of removed appendix and this seems to be a common root of back and lower abdominal pain. The right side is more often affected because most of us are right side dominant. I will tell you I've had several physical therapist perform a "psoas release." This is not fun and can be extremely painful. Though most times when this is done I get some relief for maybe 12-48 hours. If this is what it turns out to be my heart goes out to you. Best of luck either way.

My daughter has been going through similar pains for about two years now (she is 8). The pain always starts on the ride side of back (more in the lower region, sometimes a little higher), then the pain moves to the upper right quadrant of her abdomen. She doesn't get a fever or any other symptoms except for vomiting. Her doctor ran some blood work and other test, they were all normal. After numerous doctor visits and a couple times in the hospital, the doctors determined it was abdominal migraines. We were told to change her diet and to watch her MSG intake.

Once a month, sometimes every few months, she goes through this. The pain will last around 2 - 3 days, the vomiting lasts about 24 hours. We've change her diet as much as we can, avoid certain foods, and it is still happening. At this point I'm not sure what to do.

I'm hoping your pain has been resolved by now but in case it hasn't I thought I would share my story with you.

A few years ago, for about a 6 month stretch I too was having mid back pain for no apparent reason.  It would become almost unbearalbe after going on walks, and I had one very bad episode out of the blue before work one day.  Knowing I had a large kidney stone on the same side, I went back and forth between my doctor and Urologist begging them to run more tests to figure out if the stone could be the culprit.  My urologist (two of them actually) insisted that it was not possible for the stone I had (that was still in my kidney) to be causing my pain.  After months of pain and misery I opted to have the stone blasted....I have been pain free ever sense.  I've talked to others who have had kidney stones who have also experienced pain from the stone(s) in their kidney.  If it's an option for you, I suggest having Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL).  I did have to pass a small piece of the stone, but it was nothing compared to the pain i endured during the previous 6 months, and I was sent home with pain killers to help.  Good luck!

This all describes almost eactly what I have been dealing with, except after a half hearted trip to gastroenterologist yestreday (at recommendation of my gyno hwo also couldnt find anything), I found that these symptoms were exactly what I had descibed to him in 2005! so this had been going on a LONG time for me. I alo have sotnes in both kidneys. but they dont appear to move. they all say this is not cause of pain. its jsut gotten worse again lately and I hurt pretty much all the time. managable, but always uncomoftable at least. at visit yesterday, Dr was seemingly at a loss for suggestions and only advised an ultrasound. suggested we look at pancrease and liver. I am SO tired of feeling this way. ANY suggestions would help! 

Hey Kimberly
its been a year since your post. how are you doing? I am in the same boat and so eager for some answers. I have kidney stones in both kidneys. I am constantly told that ithe source of my pain as well. I live with almost non stop discomfort in rt kidney area. also have recently been having intermitent sharp front LR quad pain as well.

Biliary dysfunction of any kind? Have you been tested for S.O.D.?