I hope someone can help me. Ill try to make this short. Ive had panic attacks for about 9 years now. I was puton Paxil in 1998 and then switched to Effexor in 2003. I have basically been fine the whole time being on meds exept for the occasional panic attack. In November of 2005 I started getting classic panic attack symptoms again....shortenss of breath, lump in my throat, heart palpitations, the whole bit. Then recently ( Id say a few months ) Ive been getting these strange feelings in my head. I think at first its a headache cause its hurts at the top of my head or at the base of my neck and then quickly it turns into a foggy feeling. Its also kind of numb as well, but no more pain. I kind of have to think of were I am and then I start to panic because its a new foreign feeling for me. Ive been to the doctor twice and the first time he said it could be the Effexor giving me these strange feelings because he had recently put me on a higher dose (225mg ) rather than 150 mg. These feelings last all day but there are only certain parts of the day were I panic about it. Last time I went he was concerned that they might be seizures, so now I have even been more panicky thinking that a health proffesional actually thinks something might be wrong. Has anyone else ever experienced these sensations before, I need help fast !!!!! Thankyou

I took Paxil, which my body became immune to; same with Zoloft. Did you ask your doc about the possibility of Effexor not being as effective?

As a separate matter, I had similar head/neck symptoms -- a strange, almost painful sensation that made it intolerable to lay on my back. The head/neck pain had absolutely nothing to do with antidepressants. It had to do with my posture the curve in my cervical spine had reversed itself from a few years of bad posture. So... perhaps mention that to your doc and request an MRI of your neck, or simply try to strengthen the muscles between your shoulder blades, shoulders back, and don't let your head drop when you read, sit at your desk, etc. Hope that helps, and good luck!

I have gone to many doctors about exactly the same symptoms that you have described here, one of those doctors is a councellor that specializes specifically in panic attacks - which I have suffered from for approxiatly 12-13 years now. Unfortunatly there is no cure that I know of for these specific symptoms, but I have found that with these specific symptoms that lowering my stress level through light exercise has been the most helpful. For me Yoga or walking seems to help the most. And sometimes it just helps to know that someone else out there is going through the exact same thing, it's comforting to know. Good luck.

WELL, i can't believe it, everything you have written I get exactly the same feeling, I have been diagnosed with panic attacks and migraines, When iI get that headache, which then goes and get that numb, dizzyness, weak, dizzy feeling in my head, I have been told that is the affect of a migraine, People think migraines are a huge headache which is true but you can suffer from little ones too, which give you that same effect after the headache goes. I hope the doctors are right because it is a horrible feeling that makes you feel as so you are dieing or something, but is it because we suffer from panic attacks that we think the worse???

Quote:

hi there i was reading your storys of how you get them feelings of dizzyness and numbness i get mine on the right side of my head and down my neck and it causes me to panic i was on sertaline and lorapazum onley before bed id take that one to help me ease at sleep. i was on them for 3 years then i lost one of my eye lens out of my glasses so i could not wear my glasses for two months. and my headakes and numbness stoped. once in a while i will get a light one but nothing like i was getting so far. the doctors said it was from stress and worring. but i think my eye glasses where a little two strong or weak mabie im waiting to see the eye dr now. and it was causing this pain and causing me to have servere panic attacks. my sister was having them so bad she would shake real bad. she was medacated too her and her boyfriend broke up after 8 years together she was able to go right off her meds and she is now fine she has a little hart flittering but nothing as bad as before. i t hink cause of no more fighting and stress going on in her life she is fone now. stress of a partner or work and not proper eye glasses can cause a lot of panic attacks as well.

um i dont get headaches but i feel like i get dizzy then confused n then i cant feel my head or legs n i think its an eye problem so that may be your problem too id go see the eye doc

Hi I'm 24 years old and i started experiencing panic attacks and stress about a year and a half ago and i got put on Amitriplyne 20 mg. About a year ago I started with this numbness on the top right side of my head and when i would push on it i would get this tingly feeling like pins and needles just like when your foot falls asleep. But it would only last a couple of days and then would go away, and this would happen every once in awhile. I've been through a lot of stressfull situations for the past 2 years. Now about a month ago I started having that weird numbness in my head and tingling in that same spot and I can feel it more when i lay on that side especially when i sleep on it all night. And the feeling hasn't gone away and thats all i worry about and I've had a couple panic moments. I have had headaches with it and tension in the back of my head and neck. I dont have any insurance right now so I'm waiting on that so I can return to the doctor. Does anyone else feel like this??????Help?????

Hi i am 30yo male i ave had sever panic for almost 13 or 14 years now with gad, and ptsd. Last week i came off nerv meds kolopin .5mg, Past few days i cannot sleep at night i stay up later and later due to sever panic and distress when i goto bed. I am haveing weird odd feelings in my head kinda feels like a nerv is missfireing and the electric curent either stops or misfires. I have bad panic all day i am usely ok when i am at rest but pas few days at bedtime i feel like i am going to die right away and nothing i can do. I have had bad headaches on and off well before this. This bedtime panic is new and did not start till i stopped the nerv med about a week ago. A lil background for me, I stay offbalance badly, shaky alot, chest pains, neck pain, mucle pains, my job is affected my relationship is a mess over it. I feel i am going crazy s c**p or going to die! I have had the shaking for a few years aswell as the offbalance. Had a brain scan 6months ago witch was fine. I smoke awhole lot and i am addicted to bc pwders witch i stopped yesterday.. Could this be nev med withdraw even a week later? When i am on xanax i am fine no shaking, no offbalance, hardly and weird scary feelings. But doc's here dont want to give out xanax.. What can i do why am i haveing such sever bedtime panic? Plz help

I get the same thing. Its hard to explain. My eyes feel like pressure near the nose and it feels like your eyes all pulling away from your brain. Terrible.

i just had 2 panic attacks, and i started getting a weird numb feeling on the back of my head. sometimes it makes my neck hurt. whenever it happens i start to panic a little, mostly because i don't know whats going on. Does anybody know what causes this and what it is?

i feel the same way i feel like i'm losing my mind i have panic attacks also but i have been doing good i started the shot to lose weight called hcg i wonder if any one heard any thing about this do you think it could cause it to come on

Hi im 25 year old male. I've had this weird feeling in the back left part of my head. Almost kind of numb. It feels like there is air and pressure inside my ear. It's been bothering me and i cant concentrate as well as i used to be able to. I thought at first it was an ear problem or something. But I went to see a ear doctor. and they said everything was okay. No im very worried. I dont know what it is? i dont have insurance either. I feel i need an MRI to see whats going on.

I have just spent the last few minutes reading all the posts on this page as well as a few other pages. I went the first 25 years of my life with relatively little stress or worries. As I got older and got more responsibilities, had children, a mortgage, more bills, job issues, significant other issues, etc. (I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about), my stress levels increased exponentially. All of the sudden without any warning one night I had my first panic attack. I felt like I was dying or someone slipped something in my drink or something. it was horrible. The next year of my life was, well.....strange, I guess is the best word. I was having strange thoughts, weird feelings, physical sypmtoms from stress..and more panic attacks came too. I got on sertraline and lorazepam whic after about 1 year and a half, I felt "healed". I spent the next year happier than I had ever been having beat this awful unexplainable ailment. Then just as I let my gaurd down, got off my meds, and forgot all about it, thats when I realized it was coming back. I've also been having a lot of the same sypmtoms in my head that some of you had...the dizziness, light headiness, panic feeling, weird feelings in my head and neck, not necessarily pain, but just a weird feeling, like blood rushing to the top of my head and of course with my history of panic and worry, along with my hypochondria, I fear the worst. But I think after talking to people with similar issues, as well as looking at peoples posts online, I think I may have just realized that all this is in our heads. Its just STRESS!!! It always has been. Stress causes more physical symptoms than we realize. It takes a toll on our body and while it is easier said than done, we need to realize that we are fine. Im sure it always feels good to go to the doc and have them run all sorts of tests and they always come out negative, but its also good to hear that we are not alone. There are thousands, millions of people with the same exact disease you have. STRESS!!!! I hope this helps you guys. Good Luck!!

Wow i tought i was the only one suffering from this. I'm in my teens and started having strange weird feelings in my head. tingily feelings in the back and numb feelings on the sides of my head. I can be fine at moments feeling great and i'll start having these strange feelings making me have crazy toughts like i'm gonna die or something. It Worrys me and confuses me because i was diagnosed with a bad heart condition [WPW] still i dont feel that these head problems happen because of my heart problem. This sure aint a normal feeling but it would be more than great if someone could find a solution to these feelings i'm having.

wow...so i knew I was not alone all these years but I also did not think that anyone felt the way I did. I was young and dumb and 20 when I experienced my first attack. I didnt know what was going on. I was driving down the road and my whole body tensed up and I couldnt move. I pulled over and wouldnt stop shaking, I thought for sure I was having a seizure or something. I spent a year kind of in a wierd state...did not know what was happening...did not know what was wrong with me. I got on meds and somehow after 6 months- 1 year felt perfect again.

Lately I have been getting this feeling in the back of my neck that feels like it travels up my spine and hits my brain. My body automatically goes into panic mode...I want to move from where I am, pull over, etc. I know I am strong and beat my attacks before but it makes me so mad when these things happen because I feel like why is this happening to me and why do I have to deal with this? I had a pretty great self esteem before my attacks and I stopped working out and got very down for a long time, all because I was afraid i'd have another attack.

Reading these posts let me know that all I am experiencing is the same thing I have have been for years, which is not as comforting as one would hope. When I was first diagnosed I wanted to be the person to went in, got meds, and two months later it was gone....but now its going on 5 years and I am at 10mg lexapro a day.