My husband has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Last night we went out to dinner and he consumed several glasses of wine and a huge margarita. Later that night he complained of a racing heart and couldn't sleep. Was this caused from the alcohol and is drinking alcohol dangererous for someone with this condition?

I've had hyperthyroidism for many years and I'm an alcoholic (not currently drinking). They did misdiagnose me as Bi Polar, which I've found is common. But when I asked the endocrinologist if drinking or other central nervous system depressants suppressed the thyroid, all he could say was, "Good question".

They say on almost all of the websites I've found that people with hyperthyroidism shouldn't drink, but they don't say why. For me, drinking actually helped clam the drenching nightsweats (the endocrinologist mistook for perimenopause - told me I'd probably have them for 10 years - then had his assistant leave me a message that it was my thyroid) but I don't know why. I really wish someone had more answers.

Im a 20 year old female and was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism/graves disease over a year ago. I have noticed too that when i drink (even just one standard drink) my heart races a million miles an hr! It feels like its popping out of my chest. I too asked my doctor about it and i wass told it was the caffeine in the alcohol that causes it.... I have don't drink at all anymore! i stay clear of energy drinks like redbull and V drinks too.

I too have hyperthyroid (after several misdiagnosis, including bi-polar... or mani depression in the old days). Halfway through a drink I tend to start feeling horrible. My heart races, but I also experience hangover like symptoms. I rarely drink because it's not pleasurable. The absolute worst night of my life was when I unknowningly drank a redbull and vodka (I'd never had it so didn't recognize the flavor). I seriously felt like I'd been hit by a mack truck the next day; it was like the flu times a gazillion. I could barely lift myself out of bed. Doctors shrug, but it was strongly advised that I avoid large amounts of caffeine and alcohol and especially the two together. I'm also hypoglycemic. So the sugar volume has a direct impact as well.

I am hyperthyroid as well; I have no problems when I drink except my face turns crazy red and feels like it burst into flames. Although my face has been doing this on and off even without drinking, alcohol certainly aggravates it. The next day I certainly feel hyper, jittery and I do notice my heart racing more than usual but no where near the same as before being on meds.

Here is an interesting "article" that talks about drinking and hyperthyroid. After reading this I certainly want to work harder at abstaining from spirits completely.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

FYI: I found (after extensive research) that using castor oil has taken care of almost all of my facial episodes. I can't seem to find a fix for the "pimples" I keep getting though. {castor oil, olive or coconut oil and rosemary oil-slather it on at night and face feels amazing the next day and wrinkles almost gone now}

Although this is not pleasant for any of us it has been refreshing to see others share information. It took four months for 12 doctors to find a large tumor on my thyroid. Thank god it was bengin. I am having a partial removal soon but wanted to share my thoughts since the medical community seems so slow to complile this data. Like most of you alcohol definitely has a major effect with the hear trate thing. One thing I wanted to say though with anyone trying to self disgnose is that all this started with a Vertigo diagnossis which now may be due to the large tumor. In any event, there is no doubt in my mind that alcohol is a treigger.

Guest wrote:

Take a look at this fairly recent article on alcohol and hyperthyroidism. It's the first I've seen, which address the issue so directly.

***this post is edited by
moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***
Please
read our
Terms of Use

in hyper thyroid person they can take drink like of beer is it bad for health

I have hyperthyroidism and accidentally discovered that red wine actually helps reducing the swelling. So now I am drinking it daily! Alcohol might not be good but red wine actually helps!

What type of red wine...

wot is the red wine

Interesting concept! Can I ask how did u discover it? Are you better by now . I like Red wine myself. Thank you for sharing .
I'm assuming you know I was also diagnosed with Hypherthyroidsm.

I am subclinical hyperthyroidism doesn't do anything but help my anxiety which I have always had LOL

What type of red wine?

I find a glass of white wine is most beneficial for me. No more than two, mind you.