hi,i have been an alcohol for the past 15 years.ive recently decided to give up for good,it has destroyed my life.ive drank every night for the past 5 years.for the first time now in my life i havent touched a drink in 5 days.im experiencing every morning very severe headaches,my eyes are blood shot,and are very sore,is this normal to go through?and how long will it last?

Drink lots and lots of water! You sound dehydrated... Good for you!!! I remember that day ever so well... I got sooooo... sick! Flu like symtoms... Got dizzy .... Now I am the healthy thing you ever saw... Changes in my life that I never thought possible.... I am now totally into health and nutrition and exercise! I almost died! Yikes! I quit drinking 16 years ago and now have such a wonderful life... Don't turn back! Also, I take and now sell a product that would be excellent for you... check out my website... I'm not trying to sell you anything, just give you good advice on things that helped me! Good luck sweetie! Remember, lots and lots of water... You need to detoxify your body!

Good Health is Happiness!

Hi- I came on this site looking for a way to detox myself of alcohol. I am a 40 year old female and b/c of years of drinking and the progression of my drinking I finally and convinced I must quit for good. any suggestions? I have young kids and do not wan to go to rehab.

Whenever you abruptly stop drinking alcohol ...you could get a seizure. You should see a doctor and he/she can prescribe anti-seizure meds that you can take for a short time.....or atleast tapper your drinking off slowly until you stop completely. I have been a heavy weekend drinker for about 15yrs and didn't have plans to quit. But my body had other plans. 8 months ago , on a Thursday, (just before the weekend) I had my 1st grand mal seizure...and woke up in the hospital. I had a premonition (aura) that something was wrong...then I fell, eyes rolled, foamed at the mouth, went stiff, shaked, and turned blue...I was extremely combative after...had to be strapped down in the emergency room. All to the horror of my family! I didn't remember anything and slowly come back to "myself" after 5 hours. I was in a state of confusion for days. It's a much longer story.....and I'm still experiencing residual effects of memory loss, problems retrieving words etc. Please heed my advice. I was not a daily drinker and never conceived this would happen to me.

is twitching feeling sick and flu like symptons common after stopping drinking.

Just wondering how Angelic is doing on her decision to quit drinking? You had gone 5 days? Hope all is well and you have made it through the tough part?

Suzie
****

I have been drinking for 2 years straight then i quit ,then i picked up on the same habit again and have been drinking for a year and a half then i quit again on June.7,2007. Now i'm going through some pretty intense withdrawls face and palms as well as feet soaked, anxiety attacks, poor eating habit , major problems sleeping at night, intense dreams, confusion, stomach in nots, pretty much i feel like sh*t i will never drink again.This is a hard learned experience that i don't wish on anybody ,but you live and you learn .I hope everyone here that knows and or that is going through the same bs i'm going through nothing but the best of luck and godbless. :-D

I'm 37 and I have been a heavy drinker since I was around 21. I would normally drink around 6-8 beers a night. I stopped smoking on April 9th and then stopped drinking around May 14th. Now i am a total wreck. I am a emotional nightmare. I have butterflies and anxiety all day long. I can’t seem to get enough sleep. It’s been around 2 months since i stopped drinking. I'm not sure if this over whelming feeling is from detoxifying the 16yrs of drinking. The depression peaks all day long. I don’t know what to do! I have been doing research most of this afternoon after finally getting out of bed. I understand I might be suffering from Vitamin deficiency etc.

Yeah the same thing with me happened after two months of not drinking and not smoking as well as stopping the caffine intake i quit all this at once on June.8,2007 and since then i've had pretty bad anxiety and night sweats as well as poor appetite along with intense dreams dry mouth and bloodshot eyes also depression i would cry like alittle baby for no reason but it's part of the withdrawals, its gotten some what better since then the anxiety was the worse for me but it's gotten abit better it's gonna take some time for your body to adjust. Yeah i heard bout the vitamens and have been taking them everyday as well as alot of water and gatorade.Goodluck and don't worry so much.

Yeah the same thing with me happened after to months of not drinking and not smoking as well as stopping the caffine intake i quit all this at once on June.8,2007 and since then i've had pretty bad anxiety and night sweats as well as poor appetite along with intense dreams dry mouth and bloodshot eyes its gotten some what better since then the anxiety was the worse for me but it's gotten abit better it's gonna take some time for your body to adjust. Yeah i heard bout the vitamens and have been taking them everyday as well as alot of water and gatorade.Goodluck and don't worry so much.

hi all,

first off, let me say that please if you make a posting like our first guest, come back and let us know how you are doing! having some success in these events gives others hope even if it takes you some time to get better.

personally, i am 27 and have been a moderate week drinker but very heavy weekend drinker since i was about 20. One day after a particularly heavy night I had a seizure, woke up in the hospital. Thank god im still alive! I dont have too much problem with self control so I thought after a few weeks I would have one a drink and see how it felt. I was suffering for days afterwards: nausea, rapid heart, anxiety, etc.

So for now at least, I'm off completely. Its only been a few weeks but I still dont feel quite normal - taking my vitamins (multi and magnesium), hoping things will come around.

Once they do, I have to deal with the thought of never drinking again, or figuring out how to have one drink without feeling like I'm going to die.

Very strange. Otherwise I am extremely healthy , athletic, etc.

Hope this helps someone and again, please if you make a post, come back and let us know your progress!

Whiny, my story is very similar to yours, though I'm not as far along yet.
I'm 26 now, and have been a moderate weekend binger since I was 19.
In the last year though, after finishing university and finding myself with more spare time than I knew what to do with, I filled it with binge drinking (10-20 drinks). Still only on weekends, with the occasional few drinks during the week.

Last weekend I over did it with an extreme all day binge on Sunday, followed by the worst hangover I've ever experienced. Defying all sense and logic, on Monday night I went and drank an entire 26 ounce bottle of gin, while still feeling my hangover.

I woke up the next day feeling the worst I ever had, went to work, but had to go home after only a few hours. I spent all day in bed unable to sleep, shaking slightly and with my heart pounding out of my chest. This progressed gradually until I had a seizure at midnight and had to call 911 (I live by myself).

I've been suffering ever since, anxiety, shakes, intense stomach pains and nausea. And all of this is despite being given a sedative benzodiazepine prescription.

Today I finally got my appetite back and am feeling pretty good (I actually managed to do some aerobic exercise). I expect I'll still get some more waves of unpleasant symptoms before it's done, but I think I've finally passed the worst of it.

Reading all of your stories has really helped me cope.

Looking forward to several long months of sobriety!

Hang on in there pal, im also on my 5 th day of no drink and it sure as hell aint easy, infact im emotional as i type. I am experiencing similiar symptoms
as you, but just keeping myself loaded up on water and snaking on fruit and tea - my desire for anything heavier is gone. Stay strong.

I will state right off I work at Channah Thailand a drug and alcohol treatment center in Thailand.

There are two aspects to addiction, physical and psychological. Physical detox of alcohol will take no more then one week, generally less. Psychological on the other hand takes a long time, after your initial detox the anxiety, butterflies in stomach, mood swings, etc. are psychological.

To remain abstinent you are probably going to have to deal with the underlying issues of why you are drinking in the first place.

Anyways most of the physical part will be done in no more then 7 days.

Best of luck to all.

Detox is one thing that lasts a relative short time compared to Post Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms (PAWS) which can last a year or more. Don't be quick to think you are 'over' the withdrawal, it comes back sporadicall.