I had my first "Red-Face" attack in months last night. My face was on fire, and the bright red blotches that I usually get on my chest and neck spread to my arms and legs, I also had  shortness of breath. Like you, there is no rhyme or reason. I've experienced it with wine, good vodka, good beer, margaritas- and I've had dozens of times I've drank those things with no reaction at all. Like many others

That's unfortunate, but it does sound entirely like you are allergic to alcohol. I want you to know that it is possible for you to develop an allergy so you do have to bear that in mind. I think it's unfortunate because it seems to me that you've developed an allergy to ethanol itself--the compound that makes drinks alcoholic--so you'll need to avoid that from now on. If you're unsure, see an allergist about this. Please keep us posted.

I'm going through the exact thing as I type. It's happen over a dozen times but it's been at least a year since last time. I can always tell before it happens or before I notice the blotches because of my breathing. A very bizarre shortness of breath and I cannot explain. It's then I looked down and saw the blotches in on my arms chest throat and face. I've mixed all alcohols before and there is no rhyme or reason. I thought until now it's cause of vodka. Wait, may it is, I forgot I did have 2 shots of vodka with white and red wine. ???? WTF

I have experienced this too, but my spots also show up when I'm nervous, over excited and when I cry. It gets red and blotchy mainly on my neck and chest and it spread, but as soon as I get out of the stressful situation, it slowly disappears within minutes. It isn't itchy or bumpy. It also shows up when I'm drinking mainly wine.

Hi there, did you ever figure out what was wrong? I have been experiencing the same issue. Extreme hard of breathing and then when I go to the restroom, I am red from my face down to about my chest. (Shoulders, back and chest) did you happen to find out what your issue was? There is no rhyme or reason to the alcohols- my boyfriend is a bartender and I've had soooo many different things and I thought vodka was the only safe bet with soda water but I am bright red right now so that is not case.

So I figure we should make a list of the things we drink, including mixers that u drink All of my symptoms are the same. It's never been due to stress though. The things I have drank and have a reaction at the same time include.

Alcohol

Tequila
Spiced rum
Vodka

Mixers

Orange juice
Egg nog
Grenadine

Something i would like to know is if this has ever happened to anyone drinking whiskey. More specifically whiskey on the rocks or with a splash of water. That's my drink of choice but I've never had a reaction to that.

Whisky is the worst for me

My daughter and I have the same reaction, she has been able to take Benadryl which lessens the reaction. Have you been able to determine what in the alcohol is causing symptoms?

To everyone in this thread, drink water and eat a decent meal before consuming alcohol. You should find that the "alergic reaction" to your alcoholic beverages will not occur, or will be significantly reduced.

Hi I have suffered from this since I started drinking alcohol, and like you there is no rhyme or reason to it for me , I can drink , cider, white wine , (my fave ) , vodka, or even lager or red wine , and over the past 20/ 22 years I have have a reaction to all at some time or anouther , but then just a day or two later I can drink the same drink and have no reaction ! , but the next time it's back ! , my doctor suggested taking antihistamines half an hour before I know I will consume an alcoholic drink but this has not worked as I tried this approach for 12 months and it was still random , can anyone suggested a solution other than not drinking any alcohol what so ever , also some of my reactions now cover 70%-80% of my body when they occur, including the bottom half ! Accompanied by shortness of breath , thanks

I am currently going through this and have for many years randomly. I am an alcoholic and drink everything. This reaction has happened with honestly everything have ever drank but at different times. I am certainly looking for an answer As well. It makes it very hard for me to breath. Of you figure it out please let us know.

Also applying cold rags to the parts that are red help me to make it go away faster.

Drink water between drinks or loads after I get this too but not every time

I have had these same random episodes from drinking on and off for over ten years. I could never pin down exactly what drink causes it. I could drink everything from beers, wines, spirits etc. in one night and be fine, have 6 beers the next and get it. Then I might not get it again for 6 months or could have it twice in one week. Like others have said, I never
realy feel any symptoms, usually someone will mention that my face looks bright red, occasionally I get slight shortness off breath with increased heart rate and sometimes a bloated stomach. I always get red blotches all over my neck, chest and parts of my back and any scar I have no matter how small or how old lights up red. I am certain of one thing though, it never happens on the first night drinking always on the second or third consecutive night. On occasion taking an antihistamine has helped but more times done nothing at all. Usually it will last a couple of hours and slowly subside. I find drinking about 6 pints of water will sort it quick smart.
Glad I found this forum and interested if anyone finds a cure except giving up the booze

Mine is the same , alcohol after a busy day ,stress or upset ?