I was reading something lately about Cardiac Arrhytmias because I have problem with it. But since today I didn't know that there are more types of cardiac arrhythmia. I was sure that there is only one type and that they are treated at the same way, equally. Now I can see that I was wrong all the time. How can I find out which  type of arrhythmia I have? And can you tell me what are the types of cardiac arrhytmias and what are the treatment options for it?

If you know differences between the symptoms, feel free to tell me.

Hi Guest,

Yes, there are more than just one type of cardiac or hearth arrhythmias. There are actually 4 types and these are premature (or extra) beats, supraventricular arrhythmias, ventricular arrhythmias and bradyarrhythmias.

Premature beats are the most common type of arrhythmias. The good thing is that they are also the least dangerous ones. They need no treatment in most cases and they usually happen naturally, although they can be caused by some heart issues. They can easily be caused by too much stress or exercise, or too much caffeine. They feel like a skipped heartbeat so they are pretty easy to notice.

Hello guys,

Yes, I noticed that I'm having skipped beats sometimes, I read about it on the internet and it turns out that it is premature beats but as far as I can see, a lot of people have it and they, like me, require no treatment at all.

Now that you wrote about these types, Alan, I did a little research about them too. It seems that supraventricular arrhythmias are the most dangerous ones. It means that you are having faster heartbeat than you should, and it has its own subtypes of arrhythmias, with atrial fibrillation being the most common and the most dangerous one.

Hi Guest,

Sometimes it's hard to determine what type of arrhythmia do you have if you don't know about all of their types and symptoms and there is really a lot to say about them. Only these supraventricular arrhythmias have 4 different subtypes, with each of them having different symptoms and treatment, as well. 

Ventricular arrhytmias are actually the ones that are the most dangerous and they require immediate medical care. These also have subtypes which are ventricular tachycardia and ventricular fibrillation. These are not so common but they are indeed quite dangerous. If you notice any signs of these, you should contact your doctor immediately.

Hey Guest,

You definitely need to make an appointment with your doctor. You see, heart arrhythmia or anything that is related to your heart should be taken seriously and checked out as soon as possible. Although in more than 50% of cases arrhythmia isn't dangerous, you still need to check it out because there is a lot of space for you to have a serious arrhythmia and you are going to be sorry later for not talking to your doctor on time.

Your doctor will know what to do and what tests to do in order to determine which type of arrhythmia you have, if you have any.

Hello. I think that there are two different types of arrhythmia. At least, types that I know for. They include

• Premature atrial contractions – when you hear this term, you should know that these are early extra beats that originate in the atria and they usually happen in the upper chambers of the heart.  They usually are totally harmless and do not require some special way of the treatment.

• On the other side there is premature ventricular contractions. This is a condition that is very common and a lot of people are dealing with it and again, there are also not that harmless.

I believe that there are more types but I don’t know about them.

Sorry.

Good day there. I think that you forgot to mention atrial fibrillation. That is actually the most common type of serious arrhythmia. It is manifested with a very fast and irregular contraction of the atria and with very strong heartbeats. In this type of arrhythmia, the heart's electrical signals don't begin in the SA node. Instead of that, they begin in another part of the atria or in the nearby pulmonary veins. This is the case when the signals don’t travel normally and they can spread through the atria very fast. This type of arrhythmia needs to be treated. GL

Hi everyone. It depends. I have problem with cardiac arrhythmia and I wanted to find the best treatment for me. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any other options that surgery. So, I am still recovering from it. This way of the treatment can occur for so many different reasons, but in my case I needed to repair a heart valve. I had this so – called maze surgery. During this surgery a doctor made a very small cut or burn in the atria and these cuts are there because they prevent the spread of electrical signals. This surgery improved my heart indeed.