Hello, I have structural heart condition. It is a result of rheumatic fever; I have scars between left atrium and left ventricle. Main problem are arrhythmias that happen often. I have heard that Rhytmol might be helpful (my colleague uses it for his heart problems). Should I switch to that drug? Will it help me?

Rhytmol is a drug that is used for dealing with irregular heartbeat, especially with atrial fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia. Its main function is to regulate and maintain the proper heartbeat, and I am not so sure if it is meant for people with structural heart disease. I think that you should consult your doctor first.

Rhytmol is a Class IC antiarrhythmic drugs and is seldom used in patients with structural heart disease. There is risk of proarrhythmia (a new or more frequent occurrence of pre-existing arrhythmias) when used in patients with structural heart disease. There are other drugs such as sotalol or amiodarone which can be used in patients with structural heart disease.

Nonetheless, you should listen to the advices of your physicians.