I have to say that I am very much frightened for my kids. They are teenagers now and I have heard of some other kids in their school using drugs, heroin to be more accurate! I don’t think that my kids would use it but I guess some additional info can only do well. What are the symptoms of using heroin?

Well, I am not sure that even if they try heroin, they would do that at home. Perhaps you should more focus on their behavior, to look for the sudden changes. They usually change the people they hang with, they have all sort of unbelievable explanations for their behavior and of course, they do need money for the drugs. So, it is actually fairly easy to see if your kids have a drug problem, but you have to open your eyes widely!

Here are some answers to your questions. I hope they help you to better understand.

Soon after injection or inhalation, heroin crosses the blood-brain barrier. In the brain, heroin is converted to morphine and binds rapidly to the opioid receptors. Abusers typically report feeling a surge of pleaserable sensation or a "rush" if you will. The intensity of the rush is a function of how much of the drug is taken and how rapidly the drug enters the brain and sticks to the receptors.

Heroin is particularly addictive because it enters the brain very quickly. With heroin, the rush is usually accompanied by a warm flushing of the skin, dry mouth, a heavy feeling of the extremities, which may be accompanied by nausea, and vomitting and severe itching.

Short term affects are:

Rush, depressed respirations, clouded mental functions, nausea and vomitting and supression of pain.

After the initial effects, abusers will be drowsy for several hours. Mental function is clouded by heroins effect on the Cental Nervous System. Cardiac functions slow down, breathing is severely slowed, sometimes to the point of death.

Heroin overdose is more of a threat on the street where the amount and the purity can not be accurately known.