I was just called today to pick up a baby addicted to heroin. I am a foster parent and have had tons of new born drug babies. None addicted to heroin though.
This baby has been on methadone for three weeks.
I have searched the web for assistance in "what to do" to care for a baby with this disorder. None is listed. How to stop the tremors? Just hold & rock? I know all babies are not the same but a web site with someone who has had this experience would be wonderful-
Thanks-
fostermom

Hi! Do you know how would be the long term effects of heroin prenatal use on baby later development? I am going to adopt such a child and I am a bit worried. Now he is 16 months old and he seems really healthy, smiles, plays, etc...but I don't know how he will develop later. Shouls I worry

Babies of drug dependant moms can seem healthy at birth. But as they begin to get older, you may see some changes. It is wonderful that he seems okay at this point, but still be watching for signs down the road.

My grandson was born perfect, just a little on the small side, just over 5 pounds at full term. Today he is 8 years old. He is bright and delightful. The only problem that we see is that he is highly exciteable and he worries about everything. He asks a million questions about everything. He then gets worries, he rings his hands and paces. If he doesn't like the answer he gets from someone, he will go to the computer and google for it. He will print the page and post it in his room. His pedi has a few concerns about this, which he is referring him to a phycologist. He thinks this may be in part to his moms addiction.

Hi. I am a mother to a wonderful, bright an loving 5 year old boy and I am in the process of becoming a foster parent for his 10 week old cousin who was born addicted to Heroin. I am a curious if anyone has any information for me on what I can except when it comes to caring for this child and what long term effects I can expect? I am also worried about my 5 year old and what I should start doing now to prepare him for what is coming. I have been reading articles on heroin addicted babies, but thought maybe I could get better information from people who have been through this already. What are the chances this precious little girl will grow up to be a normal funcioning member of society? Some articles I've read say one thing and others another. The details I have are that she was born addicted, spent 4 weeks in the hospital receiving treatment for withdraw symptoms and was on a feeding tube because she wasn't eating properly. She is currently on a medication for severe reflux and has stiff muscles. Her neurological exam came back normal, but they said she will have more of these tests in the future. If anyone has any advise for me, I would be very greatful!! My family is questioning as to weather or not this is even something I should take on, warning me my 5 year old and my job may suffer because of the needs she may have.

i was  a born addicted to Haroin back in 1975. i turned out really well.....with the help and support of my parents. i had learning dissabilities when I was younger, it took me longer to learn to read, but i Love reading now. but I still to this day can not spell. I have grown up gone to college and am noy a social worker. I think the one thing you need to know is that haroin does have effects when a baby is going through withdraw but they grow up to be wonderfull kids with the right enviroment....all kids are different and if you love and nurture them it can out wheigh the biologicle stuff. atleast in my case it did. i believe nurture out weighs nature hands down..... i hope this helps.

my mother was on drugs when i was pregnant, but not sure if presciption drugs, heroin, i think both, not to mention alcohol. i had no intellectual stimulation due to my parents and teachers growing up and wonder it that has more to me not having an interest in learning when a child or actual braiN damage. any thoughts on this?

Hello I was born addicted to herion and my aunt adopted me. I am so thankful that she cared for me and I'm exstremely blessed. I grew up with ashma and had a learning disability in English. The best advice is to give the baby alot of excercise to release the tension I believe this saved my pysical development. In high school I became a distance runner and an assistant maniger at an all womens gym as well as a police exploree. I never took medication even though I have add I strongly believe the excercise saved me. I went to college after I graduated high school and I no longer have a Learning disability. Me and my adopted mother love each other very much and I thank the lord everyday for such a blessing for a mom. I am graduating college this summer and workout everyday ;) I think you would be exstremley apprieciated if you adopt this baby. God bless

The argument is always nature vs. nurture. I solidly believe that nuture, especially for very young babies and children until they become (and are taught) to be self sufficient is of utmost importance. A child loves to learn about their environment, and are by nature naturally curious. Teach them and you job becomes easier, and their happier. You are apparently old enough to realize what your situation in life has been. Only you can change it.

Hi my name is Katie and I too was born addicted to heroin when I was born as a3 pound premie. I do great in school but have extreme anxiety. I worry about everything! I am glad to know it's not just me!!!

I am the foster mother to a baby girl who was born addicted to opiates.  During part of her pregnancy, her mother used heroine.  During the last few months, she was in a rehab program and was using suboxone.  The baby girl was born and then returned to be with her mother in rehab for the first few weeks of her life.  During that time, she basically went “cold turkey” in her withdrawal.  When she came to us, she was exhibiting symptoms of withdrawal, although we did not realize all of them at the time.  We had no experience with babies who are going through withdrawal.  Over time, we have learned a little bit.  Here are some of the things that you may expect:

Sweating – it was a terrible sweat where her clothes were soaked much of the time.  If she was being held in our arms, we would be soaked.  The sweat is very stinky too. 

Diarrhea – She had runny diarrhea most of the time.  Sometimes it was grainy.  It often made her have horrible diaper rash.  We had to keep a compound mixture of Maalox and Aquaphor on hand to use with every diaper change.  It helps a lot.  At 9-months-old, she still has a big problem with the diaper rash.  Although she has many poopy diapers each day, she seldom has the diarrhea anymore.

Tremors/ Shaking – She would shake and tremor, especially at night and when she was extremely agitated.  We found that the best way to help with this was to swaddle her and hold her close.  Making a "white noise" sound (shhhhhh) in her ear softly also helps ease her.  She is now too big to be swaddled and is too active.  We often have to hold her in a way where her arms and legs are secured tightly so that she cannot thrash around.  Then I make the constant, soft "shhhhh" sound in her ear.  This helps her calm down.  Even at 9 months, she is still very agitated when she is tired. 

Dense Muscle Tone – People always comment that our baby is very strong.  She was lifting up her head and trying to pull herself up before she was 2 months old.  Due to the addiction, she has very dense muscle tissue.  It makes it very challenging to get her to relax and to even change her diaper or clothes.  Once she got more active (crawling especially) she started to relax much more.  Prior to that, we found that a pacifier really helped her as well as a favorite soft toy that she could hold at bed time.  We have learned that babies with addictions are not able to comfort themselves in the same way as most other babies.  They need an external soothing mechanism.  For the most part, that soothing tool is foster mom and foster dad.  But getting her to accept a pacifier and toy has helped her relax more which helps her sleeping a bit.  Changing her diaper is still hard.  She fights us each time and she is getting so strong that she trys to launch herself off of the changing pad.  Distracting her with a toy helps for a minute or two.  But she gets bored if we give her the same toy each time.  I keep a box of little toys beside the area where I change her.  That way I can pull out a different one each time I change her in a day.  Singing a little song also helps distract her and keep her still for a minute while changing her.

Eczema – This began when she was 3 or 4 months old.  It has gotten progressively worse.  Our pediatrician has given us a prescription hydrocortisone that we use when it gets very bad.  We try to use special lotions each day to help.  Just a few days ago, someone suggested that we try coconut oil.  I haven’t been able to purchase any yet, but hope to try it and see if it will help. 

Poor Sleep – Our little girl has yet to sleep through the night even at nine months old now.  We are very tired and sleep deprived because she gets up at least every 3 to 4 hours a night.  When she wakes up, she screams until she can be soothed back to sleep.  Often she will wake up as soon as you try to get her back into the crib.  If anyone has helpful suggestions on this, I would love the advice.  Getting her on a schedule was/still is very difficult.  Our other two foster children adapted to a schedule with such ease.  But we have found that if we can help her stick close to a regular schedule, her sleeping does improve.

Although the unknowns of the future are scary, I would encourage anyone who has the chance to foster or adopt a child born with an addiction to seriously consider doing so.  These children need a loving and caring home where they can be showered with affection and love.  We currently have two children in our home who were born with heroin addiction.  They are sweet, funny, loving and happy.   Although there are challenging moments and days, the ability to nurture them is a blessing.  And when you consider that you can help them mold a different future for themselves that breaks the cycle of addiction, it is an honor to play a part in their lives.  When you think about what might have been versus all the possibilities that can be, it is amazing to know that you can make a difference!  And sometimes you get a chance to make a difference in their birth families lives too!  Don't think of these children as "drug babies" ... they are just babies/people like any other with just a few more obstacles to overcome. 

I would very much love to find some reading material on the long-term effects of heroin addiction for babies.  Does anyone know of a good book?  Can you make any recommendations?

My name is matt, and i just turned 40. I was born a heroin addict.... The real noticable weird thing about me is i would band my head on my crib. i clearly remember doing this. And i switched to bangin my head on my pillow for most of my life before i went to sleep or even during sleep. I occasionally still do it. but my real problem is i am currently addicted to opiates... AND I HATE IT... tHE WITHDRAWALS FOR ME I THINK ARE 50 TIMES WORSE THAN ANY ONE ELSE!! I have tried to quit several times but when the withdrawals start i loose my freakin mind!!! I honestly want to kill myself... I will punch self in the face and extreme anxitety attacks. So, with that being said i normal physically but dont let him/or her that was addicted as a baby become a addict as a adult...

I'm a foster mom too. My little one is three months now and doing better. Keep searching the Internet. I found many useful sites. Here are a few tips. Swaddled bsbies sleep better. Binkies work wonders. A warm bath is often soothing. Sleeping in bed with you while you try to soothe them. Vibrating baby machines like the mama roo. The moby wrap worked almost all the time

God Bless you and your honesty around raising a child that was born addicted. You are a saint for taking on a child that could have gone down a completely different road, had it not been for you. We are currently trying to decide if we would like to foster a little girl who was born addicted and your words gave me some solace. Thank you. I hope all is well with you and your children.

We adopted my grandson have had him since birth, he was born addicted to opiates. He is 3 now and he has never slept through the night. My husband has to sleep with him or we get no sleep. He goes to a sleep clinic and is on medication. He has several health problems is very aggressive. I love him with all my heart but it is a serious full time job trying to help him. I would love information on how to help him if you found any please let me know.

i agree i have taken in a child on guardianship whom had herion in her system and its hard work with her she picks her skin hardly sleeps her behaviour is naughty and attention seeking all day even if she has positive attention it isn't enough for her her and her behaviour is worse and there is no support ....feeling alone