Hi, I need to hear from someone who has experience with Naltrexone, if it is useful and how it works in treatment of heroin addiction.

Hi, my son is using Naltrexone for heroin treatment. This drug can be used in outpatient settings. Before beginning with Naltrexone, detox must be done in a residential setting. Naltrexone is taken orally each day or three times a week. Patient must be medically detoxified and opiate-free several days before naltrexone administration. It acts by blocking effects on opioid receptors, so euphoria for example is completely blocked. Gradually over time the habit of opiate addiction breaks up. Naltrexone is not like opioid drugs used for abuse and is not addicting.

Its only as helpful as the person is diligent about taking it daily. My partner had great success on it but faltered after a month on regularly taking his and ended up relapsing after rehab for opiates. He currently has battled an addiction heroin thats been difficult and truly awful to watch from my view.

The true key to addiction recovery is inside you. If you can see the reality of your drugs effects on your life in the negative light that it is, if you can say its able to be done and Im surely as able as anyone, if you are aware of the toll it takes on your body mind and life as your drug takes over your person then you can over come addiction, Sites like this are very useful in the recovery process. As well as medications to aid your efforts in recovery. Im aware that each person addicted is different from the other,,,heroin as a drug- is the same no matter who is hooked. You asking is a great sign that your trip in heroins pocket has hope to end. Talk to your doctor, evaluate your options and try to keep your mind set on getting clean without getting hooked on something new from the doc. Naltrexone is one of several options that for me will def make wiser a choice to recover than Subs or Methadone which have their risk for dependancy. I hope you find my post helpful and be strong. Your stronger than your addiction and the recovery process is something you deserve for yourself. Best wishes