I’m 23 years old, I have had diabetes since I was 14. Three months ago I switched from Insulatard to Levemir and since then It is really a mess my BG. Sometimes I expect it to be low and then it turns out to be high! I inject once a day, and I have the most crazy BG ever since I use insulin. I was told that now I must split the dose in two per day, a pity because the fact that I thought I would be able to use it once a day was the biggest reason I moved from NHP to Levemir. My question now is what can I expect on split Levemir dose? Any experience?

The reason you are going to split it is to try to have better control of your BG and that’s what you should in first place expect. But what you shouldn’t expect is that it will be ok from one day to the other and  I will tell you why. Every human body reacts differently to insulin, so we don’t know exactly how many hours the Levemir works in your body. First you will follow your diabetes nurse instructions which can be splitting 50/50 or 40/60 from the total daily doses depending on you BG profile. Some prefer to lower the doses down a bit at the first day of splitting. Second thing you will have to notice is that there will be probably two periods during the day where you will have no overlap between the two  doses (one will be already off), these two periods will be probably your peak time, once you know it you will be able to play more with your rapid acting insulin and snacks. You will need to have some patience, but after some days you will probably have your BG again under control. Good luck!

I know it can be a pain to have to have two injections instead of one per day, but it will definitely help give you better control over your blood glucose level, helping to prevent hypos. With all diabetes medication it can sometimes be difficult to find a medication regime which is perfect for you, but follow the medical advice you have been receiving and it should all workout. The most important thing is to keep to regular times that you take your Levemir, so that it fits in around your day time routine. Continue regularly monitoring your blood glucose so that you feel in control of your new regime.