I am diabetic and drinking water like it's going out of style. My friends tell me that being diabetic and drinking water go hand in hand. I guess it was about 3 years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes and initially my doctor altered my diet and set up an exercise regime. This has been working well but I think my diabetes is getting worse now. Does anyone know how much water I should drink. It seems like I'm drinking more and more water as the months go by. I know water is good for you but I heard that some people have died from drinking to much water. Is that possible?

Hi, there! Do you check your blood glucose on a regular basis? It sounds like your BG is running high. There could be other culprits at play as well. Are you having other symptoms such as sweating profusely or hungry all the time? Are you watching your diet closely? Sometimes sugars have a way of sneaking into our diets without us even knowing it. It would behoove you to keep track of your blood glucose readings and make an appointment with your doctor. He may have some blood work done on you and see check your thyroid function, etc. Good luck!

I am diabetic as well and I experience thirst from time to time, although it isn't that bad yet. My doctor set up a diet and exercise regime for me as well. So far, diet and exercise are working for me but I'm approaching a border line and insulin may become necessary.

Make sure to consult with your doctor about your worsening diabetic condition to see if he/she can help you get that under control. Being diabetic and drinking water go hand in hand. It's a good idea to monitor how much water you are taking in every day to see if your diabetic condition is changing. Monitoring glucose levels before and after all meals is important as well so that you can adjust your diet and water intake. As far as I know, the recommended amount of water is around 2500 ml (around 10 cups or so). Given that you are a women, you may be able to take in less and a male that is much larger would of course need to take in more.

As far as dieing from drinking to much water, you would have to drink it rapidly (really fast). There was such a case that involved a radio contest. The contest was all about who could drink the most water the fastest. The contestant that won died shortly after. Excessive and rapid water intake generates a brain death. It is highly unlikely that will happen to you. I don't think I could drink that much water fast enough. Keep yourself hydrated and that will help keep diabetes at bay. Hope that was helpful.