Hi, I have a six years old son. I plan on making him take piano lessons. After some tests made by the professionals and taken by my son, this instrument seams to suite my son the best. However, I heard that musicians can be affected by some injuries caused by their involvement in using the instruments. I did some research and I stumbled on overuse injury. What can you tell me about it?

Hi, overuse injury is very common among music instrument players. Fortunately, it can be prevented, and if it occurs, it can be treated but with significant change of music habits. Overuse injury occurs when the biological tissue is stressed beyond its capabilities. As a result, microscopic tears will appear that cause the bleeding and swelling in the injured area. There are several things that can cause overuse injury. Some of them are: genetic factors, inadequate physical conditioning, sudden increase of playing time, change of the instrument and so on. The symptom that points to overuse injury is pain that ends when the playing stops in one or more body positions, or continues even after the playing. The most effective treatment of overuse injury is rest. But, if you are not intending to turn your son into a new Beethoven, I don’t think that you need to worry about overuse injuries.