Hi there

I haven't looked at all the site but it seems that the last post was in early Jan 07. However I hope you're all still clicking on.

I tripped on the street and twisted my foot 10 days ago. I was taken to A & E and they believed it was just a small bone fracture, however last week at the fracture clinic the orthopedic surgeons diagnosed a lisfranc injury. They took me into hospital that day and operated the following morn. I had to have a screw inserted.

I will be non-weight bearing for at least 2 months and am horrified to hear what the specialists have to say about this injury and what others have posted about the severe and long-term effects.

However I am not in any pain!!?? Is this normal? Of course, I keep my foot elevated during both day and night, as it does begin to ache a little after an hour or so if I don't. But only 5 - 6 days after the operation and in a heavy plaster cast my main problem is all the fear and worry and concern that my life is in effect over. I hope there are still people out there who can respond because looking through the other posts I see my concerns echoed in many of the newly diagnosed. Why isn't there any counselling? And why hasn't anyone ever heard of the injury that can happen so easily? As I said before I was only walking along the street. Please Help!!

8-|

I suffered a lisfranc Oct 6, 2004 while playing soccer in college. First we tried to treat it conservatively (which didn't work) - it's now 2007... and I'm about to face surgery #7 in 2 years and 4 months. I did the ORIF (open reduction internal fixation) surgery twice, didn't work either time... I still had TERRIBLE foot pain... This past Sept (06) I had ligament reconstruction done - and now I see the Doc on Wed to see what the next surgery is going to be...

This is a tough tough injury to treat... if any one has any questions about lisfrancs though I can probably help!

bec

I too was not in pain after the surgery. I think I'm in more pain now than then but it keeps getting better!

I hurt my foot too just walking, the Dr. said it might be Lisfranc and did a CT scan. orthopedics.about.com/b/a/225251.htm a NFL player suffered this type of injury and is still playing football at a high level had one of his best seasons of his career the year after his surgery.

So I dont think it is too much of a big deal some people have more severe LisFranc Injuries but I think me and you wont be that bad. The main concern or severity from it comes from the possiblity of painful arthritis but that can be corrected if you have surgery now to put a screw in to help the ligament heal.

Well Good Luck, I hope to be playing football and basketball by summer time. And my dr said after 6 weeks from surgery I will be able to resume activities just got to take it easy and give time for my foot to regain strength.

I gotta wait 24 hours for a call back from the otho surgeon to determine wether a screw is needed. i gimped outta there crying. i thought i was getting better but apparantly its just healing all wrong. i'm scared and sad. was wondering if anyone was still responding to this site. this is a rare wierd problem and lookin for others who have had this experience. i'm dying to know if i'm gonna be able to do all the things i used to do. i used to run and dance and strut around in heels. i just wanna be able to do those things again..oh yeah that and drive!! its my right foot which totally sucks. anyway, hope someone's out there.
Denise

I fell in my yard 8/06 and knew my foot was broken. Went to ER where they wrapped it and sent me home. Saw podiatrist the next day. He put me in a unnaboot and made me WALK out of his office. Five weeks later, I was out of the soft cast and in a regular shoe with the doctor ignoring me when I pointed out where my pain was. He even had students diagnosing my problem, but continued ignoring me! I changed doctors, and my new one immediately diagnosed a lisfranc fracture. By then, the injury was 4 mos. old, and I'd tried to resume normal activity. We tried conservative approaches but I'm still having problems -- standing, shopping, walking ---all uncomfortable. Was scheduled for surgery when I had an irregular EKG. Now surgery is on hold, and I wonder if it is too late for a surgery to really help. I'm almost 60 yrs., and would really like to return to my classroom next Sept., but wonder if my teaching days are over. Have any of you had surgery this late in the game? BTW, I've been back in a surgerical shoe for going on five months. Am past being ready to finish this game!

I tripped and fell at a restaurant on 7/21. 2nd, 3rd and 4th metatarsal fracture (Lizfranc). Conveniently I broke my left ankle at the same time. I currently am seeing an orthopedic doctor. He removed the hard casts that were placed on my legs in the emergency room and put aircasts on both feet. After about 10 days I can put some weight on each foot with cast on and using a walker. Monday's x-rays showed that the bones are still alligned so no surgery. I wonder if other people have experienced more pain when the bones are not alligned. My pain has been about a 7 on a scale of 1-10. My job required travel by car and air. Right now that seems like a long time away considering the speed of my pace. I have a wheelchair but have only used that to travel outside my home to see the doctor. I, too, was amazed when I began researching this type of injury. Any comments, feed back or related experiences would be greatly appreciated. I'm also wishing all the patients on this thread a less painful path to full recovery.

Hi wenews1,
You might want to check out my posts on 'lisfranc foot fracture stories'. I have had quite a time with mine personally. Any questions, feel free to ask. There is also a post on that site from a gentleman who had 15 screws and 2 plates, it might cast some light on the issues also for you. Let me know.

Hizgrace

I slipped and fell in my kitchen 4 days ago. I went to the er and they said it was just a sprain. I went to an ortho doc yesterday and he said basically my whole foot is dislocated and has shifted. the only way to fix it is surgery. He said i will require screws and wires in every metatarsal to re-align them. I am a paramedic and I also play roller derby. I remember my bunion surgery a few years ago was the most painful thing I ever did. I am scared that I won't be able to return to normal. The doctor said people usually don't ever recover fully from these injuries. Is there anyone else out there that has been able to play sports after surgery?

Update on my injury from 7/21/07. After seeing an Ortho for 13 weeks I was released to regular shoes and no restrictions. I had not had surgery. 10 days of trying to walk with flat shoes that provided arch support the swelling and pain in the right foot was unbearable. I saw a foot and ankle specialist who immediately did a weight bearing x-ray, something that had not been done during my treatment with the Ortho. It was confirmed that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th metatarsals where still broken and the Lisfranc joint was dislocated. 3rd metatarasl is diagnosed as a non union fracture and 2nd and 3rd are partial union. I now have a bone stimulator that I use daily for 20 minutes and an aircast on my right foot and brace on my left ankle. Started PT 3 weeks ago. Range of motion is very compromised. Last x-rays (2 weeks ago) show the first "flurry" of healing activity, although the doc says not much. Still trying to avoid surgery and have restrictions for minimum weight bearing and no more than 6 hours of work daily. My primary concern at this point is the possibility of surgery after 5 months of non surgical treatment. My pain level is still high by the end of the day. The PT excersises seem ineffective and the inability to make a contribution to my regular life is making me feel depressed. Over the holiday I was very emotional. I feel like my employer is questioning the limitations I have due to the injury. Is anyone else experiencing the emotional aspect of the long recovery?

WOW !!! just read all of these responses, and I DON'T FEEL SO BAD !! I obtained a lisfranc fracture and dislocation 1-2-3 metatarsals 2 yrs ago, have been in the or 17 times for pain management spinal morphine trials, sympathetic nerve blocks, and, oh yes, 7 surgeries. My last surgery was dec 07 - the pain for 2 yrs was so intense, any pain med did not help, because it was nerve entrapment pain. i walked on it broken and dislocated in 3 bones before being correctly diagnosed 3 months later - it kills me how not one doctor will believe your pain, they all think you are drug seeking - i am talking about pain management docs - my last 2 surgeons worked together, correctly fixed it and found out i had a huge neuroma that had formed on the opposire side of the lis franc site, they removed that - 8 scars later the pain is severe, but not like before - for 2 years i screamed every night in pain, i haven't been able to walk on this foot for 2 yrs, am just starting therapy - and this is a girl who wanted to compete in bodybuilding and worked out 6 days a week/ 2 hrs a day. TO ALL OF YOU IN PAIN AND DEPRESSED, HANG IN THERE!!! I AM ON CYMBALTA WITH MY PAIN MEDS WHICH HAS HELPED ME DEAL WITH THE PAIN - BUT I BELIEVE IN HOLISTIC REMEDIES- I TAKE MSM, ACETYL L CARNITINE, OMEGA 3'S PLENTY OF SUPER STRESS B VITS, CELADRIN, GLUCOSAMINE - ETC- AND I MEDITATE ALOT - YOUR MIND CONTROLS YOUR BODY - NOT VICE VERSA - READ THE COURSE IN MIRACLES, KNOW YOU HAVE THE STRENGTH WITHIN YOU TO GET THROUGH THIS.
I AM A SINGLE MOM - ALL OF MY FRIENDS BECAME NON- EXISTENT - I MADE IT ON MY OWN THRU THIS - PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP - YOU ARE WORTH THE FIGHT, PAIN IS A TEST - SHOW IT WHO'S IN CONTROL!!\god bless all of you !! LET ME KNOW IF I CAN HELP - I ALSO DID THIS - ' JUST WALKING, SLOWLY FROM MY CAR' - UNREAL!!!

Somebody please help! I have been hobbling around in a boot for 3 months now, originally diagnosed with a bad sprain in my foot 5 months ago.It feels like my foot has been crushed.I was just diagnosed last week with LisFranc sprain of the 1st & 2nd cuneifrom with diastasis.I was told this was a very serious injury that could take a year to heal.Everything I read says you need surgery to correct the problem.This week the doctor says I will be fitted for orthotics,to stay off it ,hang in there and he'd see me next month.He wouldn't consider surgery yet because it involves bone fusion.Can someone please tell me what is going on,do I need the surgery or what.Also, does anyone know how much it costs collectively(surgery and all) to treat one of these injuries?

Hey drdeb,

Sorry to hear about your injury. I was playing soccer at the beginning of February and suffered a Lisfranc injury. As you read these and any other blogs, I hope you notice that not every Lisfranc injury is the same, therefore people are treated differently. Also, different doctors have different opinions on how to correct the issue. My injury consists of fractures in the 2nd and 3rd metatarsals, 3 cuneiforms, and the cuboid, as well as a torn ligament located under the 2nd and 3rd metatarsals.

If you read information on the injury, you may also find what I found to be fairly common, that this is one of the most commonly misdiagnosed injuries. One thing that was stressed in the diagnosis is that the x-rays MUST be weight bearing in order to see if there is displacement of the bones. My weight bearing x-rays showed displacement between the 2nd and 3rd metatarsals, which led to a CT scan showing the 6 fractures and the torn ligament.

It is also important to go to an orthopedic specialist. Both doctors I saw said there is a common guideline that is followed. That is if the displacement between bones is 2mm or greater, surgery is recommended to fix that. Mine was right at 2mm. The doctor I saw in Oklahoma (where I injured it), did not recommend surgery, but instead just being in a cast and letting time and non weight bearing heal it. The doctor who performed my mom's foot surgery back home in Chicago said it could go either way, but if I wanted the best chance for recovery, going back to my active lifestyle, and avoiding arthritis issues in the future, he recommended surgery. Regarding surgery, all doctors involved said that if action was going to be taken, the sooner it could be done, the better off things would be.

I had the first surgery to have bone fragment removed and a screw put in my foot on February 26 and put in a splint. Two weeks after that, the stitches were removed and I was put into an aircast/walking boot, but was to remain non weight bearing. At this time I also started therapy.

On Tuesday, May 13, I was able to start weight bearing on the foot. The doctor had me go straight into shoes with crutches (didn't even have to use the walking boot). After 2 days of that, I was down to 1 crutch, and a day or so after that, I was able to handle walking without crutches. It is about a week and a half later now, and I am walking with only a slight limp and the only discomfort is coming from the muscular atrophy from not using my leg/foot for that long. I even hopped on my bike and biked about 8 miles the other day.

I have the second (and final) surgery tomorrow morning to have the screw removed from my foot. I expect to get back into my active lifestyle of playing sports, biking, snowboarding, etc...

So far, everything in the process has gone extremely well. I attribute this to my doctor's work, my young body (24), and following the doctor's orders to the T. The hardest part for me wasn't the pain, it was thinking about how long I would be unable to do normal things like walking, as well as all of the activities I was involved in before the injury.

I hope this helped. If you'd like, email me and I can give you more information about my surgeon as well as the costs that I've had for this.

Almost fixed,
Okmis83

hey man sorry to hear bout ur injury...

i am also a sufferer from lisfranc. i injured my right foot from playin rugby. i had gone to the hospital the day after. they said it was only a sprain and all the metartarsals were intact...the doctors said only 2-3 weeks until returning.. 3 weeks later it still didnt feel right soo i ahd seen a physio to see whats goin wrong.. he said to get another xray to see whats wrong AGAIN.. The xray then said again there was nothing wrong with my foot... although the physio did say theres a chance you might have the lisfranc fracture.. I pretty much just rested my foot completely for almost 10 weeks after with no boot or anything.. just no strenous activites.. then i gradually got back into rugby playing 4 games of rugby and knowing that it still didnt feel 100%.. soo i decided to get a mri scan... and soo on almost 4 months on i FINALLY get diagnosed with the lisfranc injury... which really makes me angry because i have a rugby tour at the end of the year and it might jepardize me going... if its non surgerical lisfranc how long is the recovery process anyone?? thx

Denise Hi well may 14th 2013 I fell into a ditch of a bike and lisfranc surgery may 31st 2013 and I was zero wieght baring until 9weeks and one week after pt thery took me out of the boot and its sept 16th 2013 and something poped and my foot is sweeing to my ankle dr wont be in untill wedns and im off crutchs just 4 days ago so this is scary for me too I dont know what to say although dr kavorkian sounds good about now LOL for real I loved out doors bike riding and dancing myself and they told me no high heals ever ever ever again and well c for the rest they said no running take care denise
Tresia