Hello everyone.

I am depressed occasionally. First time when I noticed that I am dealing with depression I was so down and I believed that this means end of the world. So I consulted my doctor and he showed me some tricks how to deal with depression. But I discovered that whenever I am sad or depressed I want to listen to a music and I start to feel much better. 

Now, this has really positive impact on me. I tried to find answer on my question - can you really treat depression with music, but I didn't found anything.

Can you tell me something about this?

Tnx!

I am not sure is this right or not, but from my own experience I can tell that music really helps me relax and this is the way that music helps me treat my depression. Here is why. Because music can help you go through your problems very easily and effective. Music healed me so many times so whenever I am sad or whenever I feel that I am going to be depressed, I turn on my mp4 player and I listen all my favorite music.

I am not sure what experts thinks about this, but I am telling you what I feel when I listen to music. 

I don't really think that depression can be treated with music. I mean, it can definitely help calm you down and feel better in the moment, and maybe for some time after the music has been turned down, but when talking about long term effects, I doubt that it can completely treat depression, like, help you overcome it.

But it can certainly help a lot. I mean, even cats enjoy classical music, right? Music indeed has a big effect not only on humans, but on animals as well. So if you ask me, music can help you feel better if you are suffering from anxiety.

Not really treat it, I agree with Gaia, but to make you feel better, yes, definitely.

Most psychologists are recommending classical music because it allows you to get in touch with your true feelings, and not those that you think are your true feelings (which depression created for you, like an illusion of your feelings). Music can be helpful when you want to fight depression, but it alone cannot help you overcome depression.

Not everyone can listen to the same music so you should really just search around until you find the right type of music which suits your taste of music.

I guess there is no rule when it comes to this. I mean, sure there are some genres and songs that help most people suffering from depression but it all comes down to your taste in music.

For example, when I was suffering from depression, I enjoyed listening to the music that I usually liked listening to. I listened to Joe Cocker, Elton John, Angus and Julia Stone and stuff like that. It is just my taste so I can't really tell if these performers can help anyone else, but they sure helped me relax and eventually get over this nasty thing called depression.

I believe that it works just like everyone else told you, it can help, but it can't really treat depression.

Depression is a very serious and very deep condition so it is unlikely to be treated just with some sorts of music. You need to work on yourself, you need to find out the root of your depression, what caused you to become depressed and you need to work on that. You need to change yourself for the better in order to get over your depressed state of mind and in order to be sure that depression is never to come back again.

Good day everyone.

Kevin, I am really sorry to tell you this, but music can only help you relax a little bit and to forget about your current problems but it can't help you treat depression. It is a bit harsh, but I firmly believe that's the truth. 

To treat the depression, you really should find some other way, like talking to someone who is an expert or maybe some pills. I don't know what is the best for you.

Generally, music is amazing and I believed that I can treat depression with it, but I was wrong. It can't help you in this case...

Hi. Music therapy is amazing and I do believe that you can treat your depression with a good music. At least, you can try. There are a couple of steps that you need to follow and that is it. I think that music healed my depression, because I wasn't taking any kind of antidepressants back than. You should play some music that you like and that can help you determine how you feel when you are playing this kind of music. I love to listen some jazz music and it relaxes me all the time. I was listening to this music when I was depressed and I truly believe that music healed me.