Sometimes my shins get sore after running on the treadmill. The discomfort doesn't usually last more than an hr. after I get off, but it can be bothersome while running.

Is this just a problem with this particular brand of treadmill or are all treadmills like that? Can increasing the slope/grade make it better or worse?

I haven't noticed shin pains in particular with running on treadmills, but I have noticed other pains. I tend to run faster on TMs ( I tend to use them for my speed work) so that is part of my problem and I also run in the exact same pattern. On the road I tend to run a little side-to-side when I go around things or over curbs etc. I think that helps take some stress of the legs. On the TM, it is always the same motion and that cause some minor aches and pains for me.

I use the TM at the gym and I think it is a really good one. So, I would not think my pains are because of the quality of the TM.

I was told recently that when you run on the treadmill make sure you have at least some sort of slope or grade--that it does indeed help alleviate some aches. Whether that is true or not I don't know, but I do know that has helped me quite a bit the few times I have run on a treadmill.

[rant]
I've been singing this song for a few years, so cover your ears if you've heard it before. Treadmills cause more injuires than road running!

In my running club, we have a member who is not only a local standout runner, but also a top notch physical therapist. He tells me, by far, more running injuries come from treadmill runners than outdoor runners. And when you think about his explanation, it makes sense. Running injuires are categorized as "overuse" injuries. And when you run on a treadmill, each stride, each footfall, each and every mile nearly mirrors that last. Talk about overuse. So yes, this is the basis for my personal preaching on keeping treadmill running to an occasional endeavor and getting out on the road as much as possible.
[/rant]

That being said Hayes, I'd say you might be riding the fence of shin splints beginning. Seems like your treadmill mileage has jumped recently, and my recommends would be to ease off some and work gradual at logging more miles to the mill.

...That being said Hayes, I'd say you might be riding the fence of shin splints beginning. Seems like your treadmill mileage has jumped recently, and my recommends would be to ease off some and work gradual at logging more miles to the mill.
Agree with the gradual increase on TM usage. Also, make sure you're doing your 'normal' stride while on it. And listen to the boy's rant, even if I didn't quote it, because he's right.

[rant] I've been singing this song for a few years, so cover your ears if you've heard it before. Treadmills cause more injuires than road running! In my running club, we have a member who is not only a local standout runner, but also a top notch physical therapist. He tells me, by far, more running injuries come from treadmill runners than outdoor runners. And when you think about his explanation, it makes sense. Running injuires are categorized as "overuse" injuries. And when you run on a treadmill, each stride, each footfall, each and every mile nearly mirrors that last. Talk about overuse. So yes, this is the basis for my personal preaching on keeping treadmill running to an occasional endeavor and getting out on the road as much as possible. [/rant] That being said Hayes, I'd say you might be riding the fence of shin splints beginning. Seems like your treadmill mileage has jumped recently, and my recommends would be to ease off some and work gradual at logging more miles to the mill.
:umno: treadmill runner here = frequently injured runner here thanks jrjo.

I always had WAY more trouble with splints on the mill than I did on the road. I think the old man's got a point there ;) ;)

Seriously, it's the repetitive strike on the treadmill, I have read, that will cause the injuries. A grade does help, but the main point is, the treadmill surface is steady, whereas the road does vary, even on a flat course, and certainly more so with trail running, so your legs do not suffer the same overuse/repetitive injuries that they do inside.

Get out there, y'all big sissies ;)

My only running injury, so far, has been achilles tendonitis, which occurred from running on the mill.

I think the mill is a great alternative, but I have to remember to keep it that, an alternative, especially when the weather gets nasty.

thanks, john! that's good advice. it seems i'm always hurt after training on the tread. i change my running form on treads and there seems to be a new pain everytime i use one...

PH, a gym with an indoor track...much easier on the body.

Funny but I was just thinking maybe the treadmill is the cause of my current foot problem. I do run mostly on the treadmill and have for 2 years now. This is the first problem I've had but I guess I better get my silly butt outside.

[rant]

[/rant]

That's really interesting and I've never heard it, thanks for the info. I'm stuck on the mill mostly now because i take my son to the gym to get my runs in, otherwise I can't really do it. I'm prone to shin trouble, but have luckily been doing ok lately. I wonder though if I should make more of an effort in at least getting a couple runs in a week on road?