Hi! I am 46 years old woman. I had chest pain and doctor told me that is variant angina. He mentioned also artery spasms. What is relation between Variant angina and artery spasms? Tell me something more about artery spasm.

Hi! Coronary artery spasm is a temporary, abrupt, and focal contraction of the muscles in the wall of an artery in the heart, which constricts the artery. This slows or stops blood flow through the artery during the spasm. The most typical manifestation of coronary spasm is variant angina. Prolonged spasm may even cause a heart attack. Coronary artery spasm may occur spontaneously, or it may be caused by exposure to cold, emotional stress, alcohol withdrawal, or vasoconstricting medications. Cocaine use and cigarette smoking can cause severe spasm of the arteries while at the same time increasing the energy requirements of the heart. Variant angina is a type of chest pain, where the angina pain is triggered by rather unusual factors. I hope that you are satisfied with information.

Hi, I'm Eve, age 33. Paternal grandfather had heart disease.
I too have palps and need more advice on this subject. I have seen a cardiologist, nothing diagnosied. I am not happy about the daily pains and palps at all. Please keep me posted if you find out what you have. And vice verse. :-D
Thank you.