Hello everyone. I recently was talking with one friend of mine from junior high school and she told me that her brother was diagnosed with atrial myxoma. I was in love with her brother while we were at junior high. He is older than us 4 years and he was so cute. i think that I still have some feelings for him when I see him. :/

Well, let's go back to the problem, she told me that her main concern is that she knows that atrial myxoma can develop in both atria - left one and right one. Is this true?  

Hey there Couch Potato. As far as I know, atrial myxoma is a benign tumor of the heart. Now about your question, I am not really sure what to tell you about this. I was reading a lot about it but small percentage of those articles and generally experiences that I was reading about primary cardiac tumors are really rare and that myxomas are the most common type of these rare tumors. Now, about 75 % of myxomas occur in the LEFT atrium of the heart. And I am almost totally sure that I found the information where it says that atrial myxoma can develop in both atria – right and left only in 3 percent of cases, which is very rare.

That is about right, atrial myxoma can develop on both atria.

That is some pretty easy math there, MakeMeCoffee. Seventy five percent goes to the left atrial myxoma, 3 percent goes to both atria which leaves 22 percent for the right atrial myxoma.

I've also heard that people basically have atrial myxoma on their left atria. As you can see by the numbers, it is the case in most cases. Basically, the most dangerous case is if the atrial myxoma is on the both atria, which is somehow logical, isn't it? In these cases, surgery is something that has to be done. 

One good thing about atrial myxoma is that these are basically benign and can easily be removed by a surgical procedure.

Here's some more math that I found while searching about this matter. About 75% of primary tumors are benign, and 50% of benign tumors are myxomas, resulting in 75 cases of myxoma per million autopsies. Atrial myxoma seems to be more common in women than it is in men.

Sudden death may occur in 15% patients with atrial myxoma. Death is typically caused by coronary or systemic embolization or by obstruction of blood flow at the mitral or tricuspid valve.

Hi everyone,

I wasn't aware that people can die because of atrial myxoma, that information was new to me. It even goes as high as 15 percent, that's not good.

It can really develop on both atria. He is in trouble if this happens to develop on both of his atria at the same time, in this case, he is in a lot greater danger than he would be if only single atria was in question. I'm assuming that he has already been scheduled for a surgical procedure, if not, he needs to talk to his doctor and get that over with.

Good day there.

I have to disagree with you on this one Make me coffee. I think that you find a bad or false information, because there is more than 3 percent of possibility that you develop atrial myxoma on both atria – on left and right. And this condition can be very, but very dangerous. And yes, people can die from it if they don’t treat it. It is let’s say OK when it develops at one atria, but when it develops on the both atria at the same time, well this could  be a huge problem. That is all that I know. 

Good day guys. I hope that you are doing fine. I will try to answer on your question based on my moms experience. Sure you can develop it, my mom was diagnosed with atrial myxoma on both atria. First she found out that she has it on the right side and after new checkup they diagnosed it on left side as well. When she asked her doctor why this was happening, he told her that this is not that usual case but that it can happen to almost everyone. So, that story that this is possible only in 3 or 6 percent of the cases, it is not true. It can develop almost to everyone, especially if you already have problem with atrial myxoma on one atria.