I keep hearing about bilateral breathing. What does it mean? Breathing on both sides? Could you please explain why this is important? I suppose when swimming crawl or freestyle this is something you do naturally. What are bilateral breathing issues? Are there any special details I should pay attention to?

When swimming freestyle it is very important to line the body in such position that when you roll to one side, you can take enough air to continue the motion. When swimmer is stretched out on the side with one hand reaching forward he is in his most streamlined position. That is the right time to take a breath in front crawl. One arm is stretched forward, like a spear while the other is finishing the last stroke. Your body is gliding through the water. The stroke is in fact, a constant rolling motion between the two sides. Rhythmical inhaling and exhaling is essential for perpetual motion and most efficient streamlined gliding through the water.