I would like to get some info about dementia in AIDS patients-my elder brother is AIDS positive he was diagnosed almost two years ago and I have noticed recently that he has dementia symptoms and he is only 38 –he start forgetting things, names, places almost everything. So now I am wondering if dementia in AIDS patients as a common thing or this could be some separate illness.

It is more likely that this dementia condition in your brother is AIDS related for I remember I was reading something about dementia in AIDS patients and I think that it is proven that AIDS patients are more likely to develop HIV encephalitis and that causes the damages of nerves and brain cells by the time and than the result is dementia so it is more probably your brother could be having some dementia problems for he is an AIDS patient so if this is about what your brother is dealing than you should expect further progress of dementia for I think the progress rate of dementia in AIDS patients is even faster for the brain cells in this condition are damaged on more faster manner.