I'm a 39 yr old woman who was diag. with SLE (Lupus) about 8 years ago by a Rheumatolgist following sudden extreme joint pain.  I was devasted by the lifestyle that was to follow; countless hospital admissions, doctor visits, medications, near death illnesses and the loss of a pregnancy. Not to mention the toll it took on my young son, husband and family. I ran a very busy decorating business with my family but the illness caused me to become disabled and we almost lost everything because my roll of running the company was impossible to continue. One day my husband met with a customer who told him about her father who had Lupus but also tried the newly popular "Gluten Free" diet.  It consists of elimating ALL WHEAT from your diet. You can't even have a beer because it's brewed from barley! My husband said I should give it a month to see how it affects me because our customer's dad had a full recovery from his Lupus! After only 2 weeks I SWEAR I had no symptoms of Lupus anymore! My stage 3 kidney disease had improved to stage 1 which is normal for a woman of my age. I had NO MORE FLARES AT ALL!!! My family doctor even admitted that he didn't think I had Lupus anymore and credited all those years of problems to possible "Celiac Disease". He said 1 out of 34 REGULAR people are allergic to Gluten and 87% of SLE patients are.  I am due to be tested for it and also to retest my ANA factor. Will help anyone who needs it because my life has completely changed and I just encourage anyone with SLE to just TRY Gluten Free foods for atleast 2 or 3 weeks. What do you have to lose? Searh CELIAC DISEASE for more information and be ready for an EXTREME diet change which isn't easy because WHEAT, WHEAT FLOUR, OATS and BARLEY are in everything!!  If youre NOT 100% committed to eating NO GLUTEN products you won't know if it's working. I ate a KFC biscuit one day to test the theory and was in the worse flare of my life after not eating it flour for months!  I am not out to sell anything (except blinds) or to direct you to some dumb website, this is just my way of sharing my experience in a humble attempt that someone else may be cured of Lupus.  If anyone would like to reach me for more information or encouragement I can be reached  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

hi nakedwindow!! I'm so happy I came across this post. Our stories are so much alike I could mistake you for me!! I too am diagnosed with lupus nephritis a little more than 2 years now. Been taking countless medications that  don't seem to help at all. It's been a few days since i started this gluten free diet and it certainly has made a difference. Is there any way I can reach you personally? I would really love to share my experience with you and also find out more of what you went through!! 

nakedwindow wrote:

:-)thnk u so much ma'am! i am an 18 year old girl suffering from sle for the past few months!i was earlier under allopathy medications and steroids but they dint seem to be of much help to me...so i tried ayurveda for few months n it has helped me with d swelling!but i have recently got a flare..and even the ayurvedic medicines dont seem to respond!so i am willing to try out the gluten free diet that you hav sugeested..hopefully i too get positive results from it jus like you did!:)

There are several instances of misdiagnosing gluten sensitivity as lupus docummented in scientific literature. Look at the last study mentioned in this article. I had malar rash and my ANA test came out as weakly positive. I started gluten free diet before going through other tests to diagnose lupus and the rash has disappeared. Month later ANA retest was negative. Lived happily ever since.