I need to hear some info about hydromyleia for my 3 years old son encountered some weird problems lately that affected his arms and legs he kind of stays out of strength and practically is not able walking and he recently started complaining of neck and arms pain and back there in the hospital I was told he might be having hydromyelia. Anyway my son is scheduled for MRI tomorrow and would now like to hear what hydromyelia in fact is and what is the prognosis? Thanks!

My child was diagnosed with hydromyelia few years ago at the age of 5 and the surgery was the only opt but fortunately he had moderate hydromyelia which means that his spinal cord central canal was not widened that much but the surgery helped in opening pathways allowing cerebrospinal fluid to flow normally. My suggestion is if it turns out your son has hydromyelia than it is always better treating it with surgery for it may happen this central canal widening to create somewhat big cavity in which than cerebrospinal fluid is being accumulated and all ends up in abnormal pressure on the spinal cord and those conditions are also usually related to some trauma but also may lead to very serious complications such as Dandy-Walker malformation.

hello there my name is dannie and i am 26 year old female, i was diagnosed with hydromyelia 4 years ago after a small stroke altho i have been told surgery is a opption for me i decided not to have it done mainly because i am a single mother ov 2, due to my illness i am not a fit 20sumthing year old i shud b but i try and stay possitive, from day to day i suffer a number ov ailments due to my illness such as extreme migrains i cannot tolerate brite lights so must wear sunglasses at all times noice affects me in the same way everything seems louder than it is, i have bad neck and shoulder trouble and spinal and leg trouble evry now and again i have to use a walking stick as my legs r very weak and dont always want to do as there told, i also get extreme fatigue wich is really hard to deal with being a mum, i hear and see things that are not there and i also have decreased sensation on the left hand side ov my body, but all in all im still here and yes its a struggle but i get thru and i find that trying to think possitivly helps loads my advise is not to show u r worried as children will pick up on that and try to live life to its fullest because good days r hard to come by. x