I must admit that from time to time I like to enjoy myself and use marijuana, sometimes with friends and sometimes solo. Anyway, I have been caught once and I am not intending for that to happen again. If I take Marinol, will it test positive for marijuana? I am just not to eager to explain certain things to my parents.

Well, I have heard several opinions on this subject. Some say that since it is an artificial product, it should not show on the marijuana test, but other say that since it has THC, just like marijuana, there is no way it will not be seen. I dont know, I havent used any of those two, I just know that from my friends experiences.

The asnswer is YES - Marinol will test positive for marijuana as it has THC in it.

I'm not so sure that the above post is correct... I am pretty sure that it is SYNTHETIC THC, meaning a similar chemical version of thc, but not thc, slightly different. My guess would be how specific the test tests for it... albeit similar, i don't think it is the SAME, but im curious too let me know if you do find out one way or the other...
thanks
b

The long, but dumbed down answer,

Marinol IS THC. It is purely the trans-variant isomer. You might be wondering, what does all those fancy words mean? I say, take a year of organic chemistry and you'll be more than familiar. But, back to business...

Marijuana, like all other plants, produces chemicals, like THC for example! When the mechanisms that arrange these complex chemical structures do there work, they often create a different 'conformation', which will differ only by the angle by which one little atom protrudes from the molecule. In overly simplified terms, you have either a 'trans' or a 'cis' shape. Both are almost always produced in nature and in the lab.

Well, in the lab where Marinol is 'made', they are only filtering out the trans versions of THC from the cis. This achieves the status of 'synthetic' because the THC has now been touched by the (dis)graces of man's hand- an intervention if you will. Even then, it is still awfully close to a natural sample of THC derived directly from the plant because it produces one conformor preferentially over the other- and if you're still following along, you'll know that we're talking about the trans conformor in this case. Why would they waste time doing it the other way around if trans is already the most abundant? Ha, trick question- they wouldn't!

To summarize, Marinol is THC... and indistinguishable without the use of spectroscopy. Will they test using this 'spectroscopy' thing that I speak of? HELL NO. This equipment (and the time it takes to run the test after having already taken the time to isolate the THC from the blood, hair, or urine would be in the many thousands of dollars on a good day and tens of thousands is most cases).

Comparing THC and marinol in the lab would be much like comparing the chemical equivalency of two chips of paint from the same wall- almost identical and almost unprovably so.

my probation officer told me that they can tell the difference.i guess i am about to find out as i have a RANDOM (NOT) urine test today.I JUST got on probation yesterday, got my NUMBER yesterday, called the hospital's DRUG/ALCOHOL number this morning and MURPHY'S LAW applies here.....my number came up!!!!!!TODAY !!!! RANDOM MY ASS!!

kathy wrote:

Guest wrote:

The long, but dumbed down answer,

@ Kathy...

You do have a prescription for the fake THC then? So did your probation officer know you have a prescription for Marinol? He could be BS-ing you trying to trick you into admitting you are "guilty" of smoking. I don't know for sure either, but the answer from "guest" chemistry person sounds right to me. I've heard that same thing before-there is a test to determine the difference but it is MUCH more expensive and most labs/companies will not do it. I am trying to find a definitive answer to this as well. I failed a hair test for medical cannibus and lost a chance at a great job-f*****g terrible society we live in. Since have gotten a script for Marinol and it sucks. Crazy expensive (b/c I have a c**p job and no insurance) and not even close to the same benefits as the real thing. But of course it's legal if the pharmaceutical companies get money out of it.
Anyway, sorry for the rant. Please post with your results when you get them if you don't mind. Good luck!

hi there, well i DO have a script for marinol, however...it costs 600 dollars to fill it for 60 pills!!!cheaper to go green, 3 times cheaper LOL...and there-in lies the problem!IF THC is all they check for, no prob.i won't know the answer for at least 2 weeks cause the hospital sends the SPECIMEN to a lab in California.from what i've read(on the net)it can take 1-6 days (for occasional use)longer for chronic use.

I'm wondering the same thing-I have a Marinol Script and Need to PASS a "random" Drug test in 4 hours.
I am a chemist-and have done lots of research.  I bet the PO is BS you.  THC IS THC-Marinol will test POSTIVE for THC
and Just like percocet and adderall IT IS A PRESCRIPTION not a RECOMMENDATION. Kathy you don't need to FILL your script?
No one does-Just HAVE IT ON YOU for PROOF-and Smoke away.
Pshhh Don't EVER fill a marinol script-theres only ONE company and ZERO competitive market.  

Yeah I know all about how expensive the BS Marinol is. $71 for 15 pills of the f-ing generic here. I've read online and searched every forum thead and posting i could find. I've read there are new tests that can tell the difference between Marinol and Marijuana but there is supposedly only one lab in the states that does this test and it is extremely expensive and rare that a company would have it done. But, of course, who really knows. Again, good luck. Screw these people for invading our privacy in the first place. And if you don't mind when you get your results, let us know.

hi there!!! won't know about the results for a week or more.BUT, if there is any THC, it is a residual effect from years and years of......YOU are sooo right about the marijuana controversy. i live in PA, where it's NOT LEGAL ...YET, but it should be. PA could make alot of money, and 3/4 of the jails would be empty.I will keep in touch. perhaps by e-mail, but NOTHING IS PRIVATE any more. we the people are only allowed to have an addiction only if it's state sanctioned

it IS private? Just say it with me...HIPA

Exercise your rights...maybe its the intelligence factor but you have to exercise your rights not just b***h about zero privacy...cause that's just simply ignorant

i say NO PRIVACY, because 1) i own a computer biz, 2)my e-mails from another e-mail account were referenced, by ads directed to me because of the contents of the e-mails! 3) my kid jailbreaks apps. 4)they say IGNORANCE is BLISS. and i am NOT BLISSFUL 5) there is a HACKERS convention in NYC 6)how much PROOF do you need ??besides, aren't you missing the point of the original question??

HIPA....does that mean Horribly Ignorant Patriot Act....where-in they need NO reason or ANY reason to invade your home without a warrant?

repeat after me...... HIPPA...do your homework!!!maybe it IS the intelligence factor!!