Just sayin' if you haven't smoked you need to. Drinking aclohol is soooooooo much worse for the world and your body than smoking pot. How many drunks kill/hurt people people compared to how many potheads kill/hurt people? The only bad thing about pot is that it's bad for you lungs and people get shot over trying to deal it illegally and that wouldn't be a problem if it is legal. it doesn't impair your driving nearly has bad as alcohol. It makes you drive slower lol. so really people I'm curious. Why does the world have such a problem with weed?

Because it is a drug and it alters your mental status.

Where are the statistics/studies regarding number of crashes? If you can't back it up it what you say is meaningless.

Why do you feel you need marijuana? What is wrong with facing life head-on?

what an irrisponsible post. While smoking weed might be fine for you, it affects other in a much different way.

I felt like you for the 4 years i smoked weed every day.. until one night i had a huge panic attack and now I have huge anxiety problems and i feel as though i will never be the same again.

don't make such a post if you're so naive and clueless about the true effects of weed.

thanks

ok ok. All I was saying was what is it that the world hates specifically about it? I mean Alcohol is legal, but it's really really bad for you too. I'm sorry to offend or come off as naive. i just dont understand why it's illegal when there are other things like zoloft and paxil, prozac and adoral, that are just as good as permantely messin with your brain. Wanna talk about living life head on? My mom started taking anit-depressants and since her health has been declining and she just isn't the same anymore. I am all for living life with actual will power and having control over your mind in stead of letting any drugs (perscription or not) numb the things you cant handle and heighten the sensations you can't feel. I've only ever smoked like 5 or 6 times. I didn't really see the big deal until I drank a lot and smoked a lot and ended up having a panic attack in the ER. I understand that it is not great for you. I'm just sayin in comparison....i don't understand how it's so different. And in my defense....I was running on 2 hours of sleep...sorry for exagerattions

i dont need it. I've only smoke 5 or 6 times. And there is nothing wrong with facing life head on. i whole heartedly believe that. I was just wanting to know why it's so different from alcohol or zoloft or prozac or paxil. which are all legal. and alter your brain in some cases permenately. lots of things in this world alter your mental status. i bet youve done one or two. i don't have statistics. I just know lots of people who've been hurt drunk or hurt by drunks. And nobody hurt by pot.

Coralina,

Zoloft and Prozac are prescription drugs. There is a difference. The doctor has diagnosed a problem and these are used to help reduce symptoms. It sounds as if she may be over medicated. That is an issue for her doctor though.

Alchohol has had it's periods of being illegal. I tend to think it is a more dangerous drug than people realize. Regardless, it is legal at this time.

Marijuana is considered a gateway drug. People tend to start on it and then go into harder drugs like cocaine or heroine. Unfortunately the anxiety symptoms you describe are VERY common.

Grrrr ok it's people like you who are drowning this country in over protectiveness. and Where Do YOUR STATISTICS COME FROM HUH? gateway drug?? WHAT?! IT SHOULD BE UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL TO HAVE ENOUGH STRENGTH TO SAY NO TO HARD DRUGS! PARENTS NEED TO FREAKIN TOUGHEN THEIR KIDS UP AND TEACH THEM TO NOT LET PEER PRESSURE CLOUD THEIR JUDGEMENT! WE SPEND ALL DAY SHOVING BARNEY AND HANNAH MONTANA DOWN THEIR THROATS SO WE DONT HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THEM AND WE DONT EVEN REALIZE IT BUT WE ARE SETTING THEM UP TO BE WEAK OF MIND AND CHARACTER!!! Adn I hate to ssay it I really do but maybe people who are too stupid to heed warnings about such drugs deserve to die. And maybe their deaths would make such an impression their peers that they would stop for fear of them.... AND I know lets see 25 people total (i could probably think of more) that smoke MJ. Out of those how many do hard drugs? 1 maybe 2 and maybe a few more have tried but wised up and have been clean from THAT c**p for years. Now how many of those people caused damage to anyone but themselves? None. All I'm saying is that the government should stop trying to play over protective parent and let us learn for ourselves. I have never understood why something that only can cause problems for yourself is illegal (not that MJ does cause too many health problems. less than cigarettes as a matter of fact). Big Macs arent illegal lol and they are just has bad in large quantities. But I do agree about hard drugs. They are terrible. My brother's baby mama freakin was smokin meth in the same room as her 3 year old who is still in the hospital recorvering from meth addiction. If anybody understands how bad these drugs are its me. But do you understand that Meth may have never come into play if MJ had not been made illegal. Teenagers who wanted to rebel by doing drugs started making home made drugs because they couldnt afford weed after it was prohibited. If Mj had never been prohibited I think our country would be in better economic standing, Meth-free, and possibly more Alcohol-free than it is.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowedCheck this link out. more people die from ibuphrofen and acetephetamine than from MJ. and the only causualites really reported about MJ related deaths are because people die dealing it illegally

and f*ck mental illness. i was diagnosed with depression and anxiety twice. By force of will I am happy and healthy. STOP MAKING PEOPLE WEAK BY SHOVING PERSCRIPTION DRUGS DOWN THEIR THROATS!!! ITS BULLCRAP PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SMOKING WEED FOR CENTURIES!! HOW LONG HAVE WE HAD IBUPROFEN AND TYLENOL ZOLOFT, ETC?!!?! PEOPLE LIKE YOU MAKE ME ANGRY. AND I DONT GET ANGRY OFTEN. THERE ARE FAR WORSE THINGS IN THIS WORLD THAN SMOKING A PLANT FROM GOD'S GREEN EARTH THAT SLOWS THE THINKING PROCESS AND HELPS YOU ABSORB YOUR SURROUNDINGS SO YOU CAN FEEL RELAXED AND PEACEFUL AND AT ONE WITH THE UNIVERSE. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

(marijuana as a gateway to other drugs) "Analysis of the demographic and social characteristics of a large sample of applicants seeking approval to use marijuana medically in California supports an interpretation of long term non problematic use by many who had first tried it as adolescents, and then either continued to use it or later resumed its use as adults. In general, they have used it at modest levels and in consistent patterns which anecdotally-often assisted their educational achievement, employment performance, and establishment of a more stable life-style. These data suggest that rather than acting as a gateway to other drugs, (which many had also tried), cannabis has been exerting a beneficial influence on most."

Source: Thomas J O'Connell and Ché B Bou-Matar, "Long term marijuana users seeking medical cannabis in California (2001–2007): demographics, social characteristics, patterns of cannabis and other drug use of 4117 applicants," Harm Reduction Journal, (November 2007).
http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/content/pdf/1477-7517-4-16.pdf

(marijuana and safety) The DEA's Administrative Law Judge, Francis Young concluded: "In strict medical terms marijuana is far safer than many foods we commonly consume. For example, eating 10 raw potatoes can result in a toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible to eat enough marijuana to induce death. Marijuana in its natural form is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man. By any measure of rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within the supervised routine of medical care."

Source: US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration, "In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling Petition," [Docket #86-22], (September 6, 1988), p. 57.
http://www.iowamedicalmarijuana.org/pdfs/young.pdf

(failure of cannabis prohibition) "Increased funding for cannabis prohibition has increased cannabis seizures and arrests, but the assumption that this reduces cannabis potency, increases price or meaningfully reduces availability or use is inconsistent with surveillance data the US federal government has itself collected."

Source: International Centre for Science in Drug Policy, "Tools for Debate: US Federal Government Data on Cannabis Prohibition" (Vancouver, British Columbia: 2010), p. 21
http://www.icsdp.org/docs/ICSDP-2.pdf

(effects of prohibition) "Prohibition has two effects: on one hand it raises supplier costs, disrupts market functioning and prevents open promotion of the product; on the other, it sacrifices the authorities’ ability to tax transactions and regulate operation of the market, product characteristics and promotional activity of suppliers. The cannabis prevalence rates presented in Figure 1 show clearly that prohibition has failed to prevent widespread use of the drug and leaves open the possibility that it might be easier to control the harmful use of cannabis by regulation of a legal market than to control illicit consumption under prohibition. The contrast between the general welcome for tobacco regulation (including bans on smoking in public places) and the deep suspicion of prohibition policy on cannabis is striking and suggests that a middle course of legalised but limited consumption may find a public consensus."

Source: "Pudney, Stephen, "Drugs Policy – What Should We Do About Cannabis?" Centre for Economic Policy Research (London, United Kingdom: April 2009), p. 23.
http://www.cepr.org/meets/wkcn/9/976/papers/pudney.pdf

(THC and the cannabis plant) "The secretion of THC is most abundant in the flowering heads and surrounding leaves. The amount of resin secreted is influenced by environmental conditions during growth (light, temperature and humidity), sex of the plant, and time of harvest. The THC content varies between parts of the plant: from 10-12 % in flowers, 1-2 % in leaves, 0.1-0.3 % in stalks, to less than 0.03 % in the roots."

Source: United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, "World Drug Report 2009" (Vienna, Austria: United Nations, 2009), p. 97.
http://www.unodc.org/documents/wdr/WDR_2009/WDR2009_eng_web.pdf

Marijuana - Data

(2009 - public health care cost) "The public health burden of cannabis use is probably modest compared with that of alcohol, tobacco, and other illicit drugs. A recent Australian study96 estimated that cannabis use caused 0·2% of total disease burden in Australia—a country with one of the highest reported rates of cannabis use. Cannabis accounted for 10% of the burden attributable to all illicit drugs (including heroin, cocaine, and amphetamines). It also accounted for around 10% of the proportion of disease burden attributed to alcohol (2·3%), but only 2·5% of that attributable to tobacco (7·8%)."

Source: Hall, Wayne and Degenhardt, Louise, "Adverse health effects of non-medical cannabis use," The Lancet (London, United Kingdom: October 17, 2009) Vol. 374, p. 1389.
http://science.iowamedicalmarijuana.org/pdfs/misc/cannabis.pdf
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19837255

(1980-2009 - Total, marijuana and drug arrests by year) Although the intent of a 'War on Drugs' may have been to target drug smugglers and 'King Pins,' over half (51.6%) of the 1,663,582 total 2009 arrests for drug abuse violations were for marijuana -- a calculated total of 858,408. Of those, an estimated 758,593 people (45.6%) were arrested for marijuana possession alone. By contrast in 2000, a total of 734,497 Americans were arrested for marijuana offenses, of which 646,042 were for possession alone.

I think he was high when posying his starting comment.