Hi, I have brief, electric type sensations in my face. A doctor said that it is called trigeminal nerve pain, and prescribed me lyrica. What is causing this condition?

Trigeminal nerve pain is a symptom of trigeminal neuralgia, and is also known as tic douloureux. Doctors are not sure what is causing this condition, but suspect on few things. Most of them think that the cause is damage to the nerve as it passes from the openings in the skull to the muscles of the face. Other doctors think the cause is in biochemical change in the nerve tissue. Trigeminal nerve pain usually doesn’t affect younger people. Beside pain, the symptom is muscle spasm, and it is usually restricted to one side of the face. Using real-time x-rays, the anatomical origin of the nerve deep in your skull can be targeted. The drugs that are usually used for trigeminal nerve pain, are tegretol, dilantin and lioresal.