For the last month I have been experiencing severe headaches. I feel like my left temple is throbbing and sometimes thay lst just for a few minutes and sometimes an hour or more. I am approaching menopause, so this may also be a reason. Do you have any suggestions about what Ishould do? Thank you in advance

My doctor told me that most headaches have an underlying cause and that they need to be examined and the cause found to avoid further damage. However, my doctor couldn’t find a reason for my occasional headaches so I am stuck with ibuprofen and neck and temple massage. A nap or a short sleep also helps sometimes.

Hello there galgano,

Maybe I am wrong but I believe that you might be suffering from trigeminal neuralgia. This condition is more likely to affect woman than man, especially in later age.

This is something that was bothering my mother last year so I remember the symptoms. Anyhow, this is a chronic pain condition and it affects the trigeminal nerve. The role of this nerve is to carry sensation from your face to the brain.

When you suffer from trigeminal neuralgia things you are doing on a regular basis such as putting on makeup can be trigger for large amount of the pain.

Treatment for this condition includes medications, injections and sometimes even surgery. I hope this was helpful and that you will check your condition as soon as possible.