I have a question for you - what is, in your opinion and experience, the best painkiller? I have a messed up knee, that was operated two times now. I already gave up on the thought that it will ever be as before. Now I am just hoping that the pain will somehow subdue. This does happen when I use OxyContin but I have heard that it is not such a safe drug.

I would say that the best painkiller is the one that actually kills your pain, no matter what the name of that med is. There are also many painkillers that really eliminate the pain, but leave you with many bad side effects that make you wonder if you should have taken them in the first place. Anyway, I have been taking Methadone , also for my knee problems and it helped those couple of days. It was a bit tricky leaving methadone, but it is all far behind me now.

First I definitely agree that biggest issue is what's the best Med for you. What 1 patient finds useless can be another patient's Godsend. Second - all opioids are potentially dangerous. The biggest issue is using them wisely... not wildly upping your dose. ( because the sad truth is that few of us in truly agonizing pain ever get "total relief" from any Med... At least, not while maintaining consciousness.

You have to make ongoing, honest assessments as to whether the pain relief you're getting outweighs the constellation of side effects you may well be experiencing.

I started one of the first pain patient advocacy foundations & have struggled with excruciating pain myself for 20?

Write me if there's any way I help you. My heart goes out to you.

I agree that the one that works for YOU is the best one. I have no real experience with heavy duty pain killers but in the OTC ones my wife and I differ greatly. Ones that do nothing for me work well for her and vice versa.

When I had bypass surgery I was amazed at the ability of the doctors to give me exactly what worked for me and the right amount. I had very little pain (in my opinion) considering they opened me up with a skilsaw. They even knew exactly how many pills to send home with me, but the screwed up on that. I had to get a refill on those because I left the hospital early. I left 4 days after the operation and apparently 5 was the norm. My wife was in to visit me in the morning of the 4th day and because I was doing so well they asked if I wanted to go home with her. They took me to the stairs and had me walk up to the next landing. I guess I passed because they started taking things out of me. Of course I had no street clothes and it was winter so they gave me a couple jonnies and a blanket and a bottle of one a day pain pills. I needed to get a refill on those but I took only one. So if I had stayed in the hospital another day the number they sent me home with would have been just right. I don't know what they were as I'm not a druggie but when my wife's druggie kid sister saw the bottle her eyes lit up and went tilt. So we knew we had to get rid of those.