Can I go under anesthesia for breast implants under methdone?

Breast augmentation can be performed under general or local anesthesia. When it is about anesthesia, it is very important to inform your surgeon about all medications that you have been used, including herbal remedies and otcs. Methadone is similar to drugs that are given to induce anesthesia, so there can be synergistic effect between theses drugs. If your surgeon would give you anesthetics without knowing that you were on methadone, serious side effects may occur. But there is always possibility of changing the dose, and performing the operation successfully. Dose that is given to induce anesthesia depends on complete physical condition, age, and other medications that were used before the surgery. After having general anesthesia, methadone should not be taken for next 24 hours; I think that you should know this. It is not just methadone, but medications that work as depressants on central nervous system. This includes pain killers, antihistamines, sedatives and some other drugs. So, I guess that you’ll be able to have breast augmentation surgery, just need to find very qualified surgeon. Once again: don’t avoid telling your doctor about methadone and everything can be just fine.

My experience was completely different. I had a major surgery and it was listed on my chart that I took methadone. I woke up from surgery in horrible , unbelievable pain. The recovery room nurses acted like I was crazy and kept telling me to calm down. I had spasms all over my body . finally it got so bad they moved me to ICU and a pain management doc came in and nearly blew his top when he saw I took methadone and they had not allowed for this. he said it competes for the opiate sites and unless they give it to me, I would get no pain relief. They gave me methadone IV and i finally got some relief after about 4 hours. It took that long .I cannot tell you how horrible it was.
so i would talk with an experienced pain management doc before having surgery. It may not happen to you,but it happened to me.

HI there..

I'm in the same position as the lady above ~ i am on a low dose of methadone (30mg) and i wish to undergo a Breast Augmentation under General Anaesthetic.
I am very healthy, and have been totally free from any drug other than my prescribed methadone for over 6 years.
I am on a methadone reduction program, so reduced from 100mg to 30mg over this time ~ i am very stable, and perfectly fit.

Can anybody at all offer me any advice as to whether or not it's likely that i will be allowed to undergo genaeral anaesthesia for cosmetic surgery?
Would you expect most surgeons to be accepting of this medication?
Or am i likely to be refused my Breast Augmentation.

Id be sp greatful if anybody could offer me some straight advice.. thanks. x

I'm undergoing a knee procedure and I DO not want to tell my doctor I'm on Methadone. I do not use any other drug and I've been on a program for 8 yrs in good standing. My dose is not high ...I just can not bear the fact that the doctor will not treat me the same way. Is this a bad thing any one know. Yes it's easy to Say to a stranger You Must tell him. But its a real issue to me. 3 days and counting!

Guest wrote:

If you go under general anesthesia you need to tell your doctor that you are taking Methadone or you could DIE.

To the person undergoing the knee procedure, I took it for granted that my doctors were there to help me, all I got from my Dr. when I told her about the meth was a VERY negative reaction, almost like a parent disciplining a child. But I have heard that going under anestesthia on methadone can kill you. Be Careful.

I also am undergoing breast surgery (reconstruction) next week, I take a low dose of methadone. My insurance has denied covering the surgery twice already on technicalities. I am FINALLY approved and I am afraid if I gave them any reason at all they would deny me permanently, and I am all out of appeals. So I have yet to disclose the methadone to my surgeon. I have heard that there are concerns about mixing the medicine with anesthesia but that there is nothing conclusive to say it is actually harmful. I know what anyone NOT in my situation would say, tell your doctor, that's the right thing to do, the safe thing, but I really need this surgery and it is my last chance to get it, does anyone have any personal experiences that can reassure me or otherwise? You would think that if it was really dangerous it would be tested for on the preoperative blood and urine tests, but it is not.

I just had my gall bladder removed and I have been on 80mgs of methadone for 7 years. To the people who have said that going under general anestesthia while on methadone can cause death, have no idea what they are talking about. You do need to inform your surgeon and anesthesiologist that you are taking methadone beause some drugs can act as a antagonist meaning they can decrease the effects of methadone. Methadone is in NO WAY similar to the drugs used by the anesthesiologist, other than other pain medication that might be administerd. Methadone is a synthetic narcotic used for pain management and opioid addiction. And you can take other narcotic pain meds after surgery. But you do need to advise your surgeon and anesthesiologist.

TO THE PERSON WHO JUST HAD THEIR GALL BLADDER OUT AND IS ON 80 MGS OF METHADONE AND SAYS THAT YOU CAN'T DIE FROM GETTING GENERAL ANESTHESIA!!!! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU??? I am sorry....but you are totally wrong!!! I have 3 friends who were on methadone , they were on different doses , one wqs on 40mg, one was on 80, and the other one was like me....on a very high dose! I am on 180mg she was on 175....all 3 of them died!!! they died because they opted not to tell the doctors that they were addicts on methadone!!! For the same reason that we all think about not telling doctors or dentists....we are all afraid that we will not recieve proper pain control!! I am getting surgery on my foot in 10 days!!! My doctors know the dose of Methadone that I take and that I have been taking that dose for 8 years!!! If you take the time to find the right doctors, and if the staff at the methadone clinic that you attend, know what they r doing ....you will have no problems!!! but to think that the barbituates and the opioid pain meds that u recieve during surgery can't kill you is SOOOOO WRONG!!!

If you go back and read what you wrote, you answered your own question. You just said your friends chose NOT to tell anyone about their methadone use. Maybe, no, almost positively they would have lived if they SPOKE UP. They're taking a massive CNS depressant and the doctor doesn't know? WTF? I'm not suprised they died. They were ignorant in their choice to keep quiet, and look what happened. My doctor thanked me for telling him I take methadone. Have you looked at the meds they give you when going under and staying unconcious? Just those alone could kill you, nevermind holding back on the meds they took.

I agree!!! They would have lived if they have spoken up!! My surgery was rescheduled...I am having the surgery this Tuesday!! I saw my surgeon again this past week to fill out all of the Pre-Op forms, etc......He asked me about my Methadone......He asked..." Do you think that your Methadone will be enough to control pain after the surgery?" I then took the time to explain to him how Methadone works when used for addiction!! I also gave him my Methadone clinic's number and the names of the Doctor, nurses, and my counselor. I told him that because I am on 180mg and have been on that dose for 8 years.....it does NOTHING for me when it comes to pain and that I feel pain just like anyone else does who is not on Methadone!! He was very understanding.....he told me that he would call my clinic and talk to my doctor, nurses, and counselor there and that he would make sure that he gave me the proper amount and dose of pain meds after my surgery!! and he also thanked me for being honest with him about my Methadone treatment!! I am lucky....I have a doctor who is very understanding and he is open to the Methadone program!! but there are soooooo many doctors...and dentist, for that matter....who as soon as you tell them that you r on the Methadone program....they look at you like you r a dirty junkie!! and they automatically assume that you r seeing them so that you can get percocet, vicodin, etc.!! BUT WHAT MOST OF THEM DON'T GET IS ......IF YOU R ON METHADONE.....PERCOCET, VICODIN....OR MOST OF WHAT THEY CAN GIVE YOU BY PRESCRIPTION.......WILL NOT GET YOU HIGH!!! LOL!!! I think that something needs to be done so that doctors and dentists ARE TAUGHT HOW TO TREAT PATIENTS ON METHADONE, BUPANORPHINE, (OR HOW EVER IT'S SPELLED), etc. while they r in Medical School!! Most Emergency room Doctors....and Family doctors for that matter.....have no idea how to treat ppl on Methadone!!! They all think that if we are complaining of pain...we are lieing and that we are "Drug Seeking"!!! U HAVE NO IDEA HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE BEEN ACCUSED OF THAT IN THE 8 YEARS THAT I HAVE BEEN CLEAN!!!! the AMA needs to make sure that student doctors are trained for patients who r addicted instead of assuming that all of us are looking for a "FIX"!!!

hi, im undergoing a surgery called novasure its an indemetrial ablasion..and im going to have general antesesia and im on 112mg of methadone decreasing from 124 and hve been on it for 2 yrs..im realy nervous about telling my dr bout methadone cse they absolutely look @ u diff when u tell them ur on it..ive read the blogs bout telling or not telling the doc..i dont want to have complications or die from not telling him but i also dont want to b denied any proper treatment for telling them..what to do??

U need to tell your doctor and discuss EVERYTHING including pain control after your procedure!! i had a Liver biopsy done a few weeks ago!! THAT WAS ONE OF THE MOST PAINFUL PROCEDURES THAT I HAVE EVER HAD AND THAT INCLUDES GIVING BIRTH 3 TIMES!!! all of my doctors and the hospital staff knew that i was on a methadone level of 180 mg and that I've been on that level for 8 yrs. they did a wonderful job of making sure that they adjusted my pain meds!! Most doctors don't understand that ppl on Methadone have a much higher tollerence for pain!! when you r on methadone it takes MORE pain medicine to control your pain and you have got to learn how to speak up and demand that your doctors listen to you!!! if they refuse to listen then you need to find a doctor that does!! BELIEVE ME....THEY ARE OUT THERE!! good luck!!!

I have been on 145mgs of Methadone for 5 years. I have had a colonoscopy about 2 years ago and let the doctors know at the pre-op appointment that I take methadone and the amount. They said that it is not a problem they just adjust the medication to allow for it. I even told the nurses when I went in on the day of the surgery and then as they were taking me into the OR I told them again. I didnt care if they looked at me funny or thought I was a junkie....I wasnt going to die over what they thought of me, but I could die if I didnt tell them.

I go in for surgery tomorrow and I made sure that everyone involved in my surgery know that I take methadone. The anesthesia doctor and my doctor both told me that they would have to adjust my pain medication after surgery and to take home because the normal vicodin or percocet doesnt work as well when on methadone. So I think if you are on ANY dose of methadone no matter how small, you should always let the doctors know. If they look at you funny or think of you as a junkie, then its their ignorance....at least they are looking at you alive....