Hello everyone I am new here but need a bit of advice from those of you who know about lisfranc injuries.
I was in a car accident and pretty badly injured on 10/23/10. I broke my 2nd metatarsal and dislocated it but i am not sure how many mm. I also broke my fibula under my calf and also broke my nose and took a lot of glass to my face. Anyway my question is about my lisfranc injury.
I had surgery on 11/1/10 and had 2 screws put in. I had a thin cast but it was taken off about 2 weeks after surgery on my dr's say so. I am non weight bearing for 6-8 weeks. I was started on percocet for the pain but after a few days moved to tramadol because I didnt like how strong they were. I take about 2 every 3x a day or sometimes 2x a day. it has been almost 5 weeks since my surgery but I am still in pain. It is mostly right where i imagine the screws to be and also travels up my leg. A lot of it also is on the bottom of my foot in my heel. I have called in for a refill on my pain meds once and was granted it.
So my question is this, I am running out of pain pills and would like to get another refill. I am unsure if my pain is normal and getting more pills is normal. the pain hasnt increased but i dont think i could go with out the pain killers. ( i tried one day and was exhausted and very emotional from dealing with the pain for so long). So anyway I hope i have included enough information. I just wanted to know if pain this long after my surgery happens?

The main problem with lisfranc injury is the severe pain before and after the surgery. Some people can handle large amounts of pain and that is only difference between people, but you seem to have suffered some very hard injuries and I suppose you know the difference between moderate and strong pain. So, when you get a refill you’ll have about four more weeks – pain should become manageable towards the end. The issue with Tramadol is that it is addictive and might cause withdrawal symptoms after you stop taking it. Many people who deal with chronic pain even regard it as one of the worst to quit, even though it helps a lot. If you stick to the prescribed dose and start to reduce it as the pain gets better you should be fine, but there is always some danger so it wouldn’t be bad to consult with your doctor about that when you get the chance.

well I have only taken what the bottle says to and i did call the orthopedic clinic i went to today for a refill and they just said it would take 24-48 hrs so we shall see. maybe they will give me a hint if this is normal. mostly I was wondering if there were some people out there who still have pain about 5 weeks after their surgery also. Thank you for the information about tramadol though.

Hi! I know you wrote this a long time ago, but I am experiencing the same thing you did in terms of pain. I obtained a lisfranc fracture on June 22, 2011 and had surgery August 5, 2011. They surgeon ended up putt a place and 7 screws. I am currently in a cast and not sure when I will be out of it and also no weight bearing. I am in pain all day and only take tylenol during the day a couple of times and then percocet at night. how long did your pain last for? Sometimes the pain is so bad I want to cry, but during the day I suck it up and wait till bed time because now I am in school and driving. What is your suggestion for pain management during this time? How is your recovery going?

Try and stop taking painkiller it's not good for u I'm I'm d same problems and I have rel pain