I would like to know something more about kleptomania. What kind of illness is that? I mean, how can it be illness at all? I have heard that one of my friends suffers from it and I just cannot believe it. Can you give me some info? I would just like to understand his situation a bit better. Thanks.

Kleptomania is a behavior disorder and it is manifested with the theft of the small things, for example pens, remote controls, toys etc. What is interesting is the fact they are even not aware of what they did until later. Usually, this disorder is actually a symptom of some other more serious condition, such as obsessive compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder etc. In spite of that, laws in US and UK do not acknowledge this condition when it comes to crime acts.

Hi there,
Kleptomania is impulse control disease where someone has a problem manifested as irresistible urge to steal items. The items don’t have to be of any importance and in many cases the kleptomaniac doesn’t need these items, it is just the urge that he can not control. You have to know also that there is no cure for this condition but some medication and psychological therapy might help to end the cycle of compulsive stealing. Once the treatment begins it is important to stick to it and that there is no skipping or pausing the treatment. Psychotherapy will most likely help you discover what drives you to steal so that you can take steps to manage them.

All the best,
Danella