I have a friend that claims she is kleptomaniac. What does that mean? I know she likes to take a thing or two here and there, but it is nothing serious. So, what is that condition, or illness, don't know how to call it actually. I just hope that it is not something serious, or perhaps she is just joking around...

Kleptomania has been and still is a topic of discussion among both psychiatrists and people of the law. Even though it has been proved that it is a behavior disorder and that it is related to many conditions (bipolar and obsessive compulsive disorder), still it is not taken seriously in the court of law in UK and United States. Anyway, there are several therapies and treatments that can help people with this problem.

Hi there,
When you have an urge that you can’t resist to steal something but you really don’t have any urge for this item you can be defined as kleptomaniac. This is mental disorder that that can cause many emotional pain not just to you but to persons around you that try to help you. In your case your friend steals from time to time, but you have to understand that this one day might become more serious. She can get arrested for this and then things get complicated. You could try to talk to her to find some help with this condition. Has she considered seeing a doctor to treat the condition in any way?
All the best,
Danella