Hi, people. My wife has been stealing for a longer period of time and I’ve discovered that recently. I suspect she has kleptomania since the things she stole didn’t have a great value. I would like to know whether kleptomania can be inherited since we have children and I wouldn’t like them to follow this path.

Hello. The cause of kleptomania is still unknown. There isn’t an evident that would prove that it can be inherited. Many experts look at kleptomania as a part of obsessive-compulsive neurosis. Many people steal because they are instructed by “unwanted intruded thoughts”. Some experts link this disorder to the lack of serotonin. You should take your wife to the psychiatrist. It isn’t hard to treat. I think you shouldn’t worry about your children. Good luck!

Hello there,

First of all stop worrying about your children because there is no proof that kleptomania is inherited. They are safe from inheriting this condition from your wife so this doesn’t have to be subject of additional stress in your life.

Instead you should focus on your wife and help her to deal with her problems. If she is stealing small things this could be a sign that she is unhappy and that she needs additional attention.

We had one case in our family when after accident our cousin started to steal things. It wasn’t anything valuable but it had sentimental value for every member of our family. This lasted for about month and then he stopped by himself. Maybe similar thing is going to happen to you to as well.    

I'm not so sure that it's not linked. My father has always stolen, never caught until 10 years ago but I stole when I was 5 years old and has been an ongoing battle. My oldest son had the same issue. Although, there are no proven scientific findings, i personally feel there is a link. For those of us who suffer from this terrible dilemma, it's a battle when we know it's wrong but do not regret until we're on the verge of getting caught or have been caught.

Thanks for this because I am the same way! Since I was a kid I would steal every now and then and till this day especially when I drink, I have to urge to steal. Any little thing like lighters, salt shakers, nail polish, straws, whatever I can get my hands on. My dad is the exact same way that's why I googled about this!

I totally agree with you. One of my parents stole things, My brother stole many things as well and others in my family did too. Perhaps the inclination is handed down?